Saturday, 2 July 2016

Grad (or any occasion) Memory Jars

Now that school is over I finally have time to breathe... until Tuesday. I don't think I've mentioned it but I'll be teaching summer school this year. I'm really excited for this opportunity, and it's only three days a week for five weeks so I'll still have a nice bit of a break.



Before school ended we had grad, which is one of my favourite days of the school year. I think in any school a graduation is exciting but in a school like mine I feel like it's even more of a celebration. For those readers who don't know (because I don't talk about it much) I teach at an alternate/outreach school. For many of my students school has not been a positive experience, which is often what brings them to us, and so helping them achieve their goal of graduating is a huge accomplishment. This year we had 9 graduates, which is our second largest group to date.



In the past we've had sheets for people to sign and write a message to our grads but this year I wanted to change things up. After looking for ideas online I settled on a memory jar.



I bought the jars at the dollar store and added a piece of ribbon from my stash, holding it in place with a glue dot in the back. I also added a label, which I've partially blurred out for privacy. The labels were a pain to make because I created them in publisher and really didn't know what I was doing, but I'm thrilled with how they turned out.



I made an instruction sheet and placed several copies of it around the table with the jars. I also made small sheets (an 8.5 x 11 sheet divided into 4) for people to write messages for the grads. 



All the school staff wrote messages the week before grad so it was one less thing to worry about at the ceremony. Then at grad we had it set up on a table with lots of paper and pens, so before the ceremony and during the reception the guests added their own messages to the grads.



I also made an updated version of my grad centrepieces that I'll share with you soon. 

Shared at: Life on Lakeshore Drive, Making It In The Mountains, The Kolb Corner, Sugar Bee Crafts, The Crafty Blog Stalker, Divas Run For Bling, The Benson Street, A Stroll Thru Life, Kathe With An E

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).