Thursday, 19 May 2016

Bird on (Fake) Watercolour: Art Class 12

I love the look of watercolour and have even bought some supplies but haven't tried using them yet, so when I saw the sample for this art class, I couldn't wait! Imagine my surprise to learn that we were painting the entire project on canvas using acrylic.



The background technique was actually really cool. We wet our acrylic down as if it was watercolour, and let it drip and run and mix. I had a lot of fun playing with it.



Next was the bird, which went ok for the right-side up version. 



When it came to the reflection I struggled. I like my paintings to be neat and precise, so the reflection didn't look like it was actually in water. A few lines and a few paint splatters (with the bird covered) seemed to fix that problem.



A few weeks ago my brother was in Alberta for work and we got to spend a day together. We actually had a great adventure on the ice fields parkway and the scenery is too spectacular not to share a few photos.


Mistaya Canyon

Me in front of the Athabasca Glacier

The black bear we got to stop and watch from the safety of the car
    
I promise, there's a reason for mentioning my brother's visit. While he was here he brought home a couple paintings he wanted, including this bird painting. It now has a wonderful home in Newfoundland, in the hallway at my brother's house.


He texted me a photo of the bird in its new home.

I love when someone likes one of my paintings enough to ask for it, and knowing that it brings them happiness when they look at it!

Shared at: Life on Lakeshore Drive, A Stroll Thru Life, Sugar Bee Crafts, The Crafty Blog Stalker

1 comment:

  1. This looks so beautiful. I love it! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).