Sunday, 15 November 2015

Chicken Slow Cooker Freezer Meal Fails

I love my slow cooker. I was late to jump on the band wagon, only buying one at the ripe age of 32, but it has become one of my favourite things. I love that I can turn my meal on before going to school, and come home to a delicious smelling, healthy meal. The problem I have discovered, however, is that many of the recipes I find online are repulsive. They look appealing, have ingredients that J and I like, but are inedible. I will not be linking to the websites these recipes came from because that would be mean but I still wanted to share these with you. They're bad. Avoid them. You've been warned.


Sweet and Sour Chicken


The only word I can use to summarize this dish is nasty. It was awful. We couldn't eat it and ended up throwing it away. Even looking at the picture of it is turning my stomach. Nasty! *Please note there are many variations of sweet and sour slow cooker chicken. The one I made had chopped red peppers. I don't know if the others are any good or not.


Lemon Garlic Chicken


It might be a little harsh to put this dish in this post, as it wasn't truly horrible. I could eat it. J couldn't, but he's much more particular than I am. It just tasted like chicken marinated in lemon juice, and had the most bizarre aftertaste.


Cafe Rio Chicken


This was probably the most disappointing. It smelled delicious and I had high hopes. However, it tasted similar to how teenage boy socks smell. We even tried washing the chicken off and covering it with barbecue sauce to see if it could disguise the taste, but to no avail. This was another one that ended up in the garbage.


Cilantro Lime Chicken


Perhaps I should have avoided this one, seeing as I'm not a big fan of cilantro. It was odd. Something about the mix of cilantro and lime and beans and chicken just didn't work. We ate enough of the corn and beans to call it a meal, but avoided the chicken. Never again.

So there you have it. You'll notice there are no after photos. That's because, given how gross these were, I didn't plan on sharing them with you. With that said, we all love a fail, so who cares if the photos aren't great, right?


Want to know some slow cooker recipes I really do like? Here are two of my favourites: 

4 comments:

  1. You are too funny Al! What a bummer that none of these recipes turned out decent. It's pretty hard to mess up chicken lol!

    I noticed in the first pic the chicken looks a little bare. Sometimes I brown things even if the recipe doesn't call for it. Just looks better that way, but I'm not sure if that would have helped ;).


    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are definitely some rough recipes out there, but I have a ton that I absolutely love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried a lemon garlic chicken recipe and will agree with you. There just wasn't anything special about it! It's always refreshing to have a new take on recipes, instead of everything being about what is good all the time. Thank you for sharing at Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't give up on the cilantro lime chicken, there are some good recipes out there. Mind you, I've only had it cooked on the stove, not in a slow cooker. I find that slow cooker foods never look as good as they look in the pictures. The sauces are always thick and stick to the food, but in real life sauces always seem to come out thin and watery and don't stick to the food at all.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).