Thursday, 19 November 2015

A Walk In The Rain: Art Class Number Ten

I'm sorry if you're tired of my paintings. I'm almost caught up (I think I only have 3 remaining)… just in time for my first post-surgery class next week. It might be a little early, as I typically am good for about an hour before I need a nap, but I'm really looking forward to it.



This is on of my favourite paintings I've done, in part because of the following true story. Art class typically goes like this: we're given a picture to look at, we observe a mini-lesson about skills and techniques we need for the piece, and then we all work away with help from the instructor as needed. I was at the final stage in this painting - the people - when someone commented about the sidewalk. What sidewalk? Seriously, up to that point I was painting but not really seeing. It wasn't until someone said it that I realized the couple were on a sidewalk in the rain, and the squiggles were reflections, and the circles were car lights. Sometimes I can be a little dense. 


 

Not bad for a painting where I didn't realize what it was, right? 



One of my favourite people and dear friend (who came to visit this summer and gave me an excuse to make Minion Cupcakes) liked this painting so I sent it home with her. She planned on putting it in a bedroom but her husband said it suited a wall in their main living area, so that's where it lives.



Edit: After this post was published, I mentioned to my friend that I wished I still had the picture she's sent me but had deleted it from my phone, so she sent it to me again. After a birthday party for her girls (who turned 3 and 5, and are some of my favourite little people) they were sitting around the fire pit, and looking in the window you can see the painting.

Shared at: Diana Rambles, Life on Lakeshore Drive, Create With Joy, Made in a Day, A Creative Princess

2 comments:

  1. I like the colors in this painting, and the way the couple looks against the white in the background. Your class sounds interesting and challenging too Al. It's good to do things that keep our brain cells moving, isn't it?

    Hope you're having a good weekend, and Happy Thanksgiving!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is beautiful! I'm self taught, but hope to take some lessons soon.
    Is this in acrylic? No wonder your friend took it home.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).