Saturday, 16 May 2015

Simple Scrapbooking: The Supplies

Scrapbooking can be overwhelming. I get that. Hopefully, however, I can help you figure it out. 
   
Here's the backstory. I started scrapbooking back in university, thanks entirely to my mom. She thought it would be a great idea one summer to make three scrapbooks - one for her and my dad, one for my brother, and one of myself - essentially dividing all our family photos into three albums. Being the awesome daughter I am, I quickly agreed to help and we got started. That summer we spent way too many hours working on our foldout tables, sitting on the couch and watching entirely too much tv, but we both got hooked and have been scrapbooking for the 10+ years since.

However, I took an extended break. It wasn't intentional but somehow I got 3+ years behind. But that doesn't matter. I spent many hours getting all my photos printed and organized and have spent the last couple months working to get caught up. I'm currently mid 2014, so I'm making progress.


     
What is important to point out is that my scrapbook layouts are simple. I can appreciate other people's fancy pages but that's just not my style. The most fancy book I've done is my wedding album (which you can see here, here, and here), and even that wasn't too decorated. If you're looking for fancy, there are lots of ideas on Pinterest. However, if you're looking for a simple guide to the basics of scrapbooking, you're in the right place.

The first thing you need to start scrapbooking is supplies. In the beginning mom and I bought things we didn't need and I still have some of those supplies today. This list isn't about those things. These are the things I actually use on a regular basis.



Album - I like the 12 x 12 albums with the hidden binding. I do have a couple smaller ones and a binder-ring style album for my wedding but for my regular albums these are what I use. I buy them at Michaels when they're on sale or I have a coupon.

Page protectors - These have to fit the album (obviously) and typically an album comes with a few but I add a lot more to each of my books. Again, I try to get them when I have coupons.



Card stock  - I use 12 x 12 card stock. Over time I've learned that I'm not a fan of patterned paper and tend to use a lot more plain or textured paper in my layouts, and that I prefer light colours. That's just a matter of preference.

Small card stock - I love using these 4.5 x 6.5 pieces as mats for my photos. They're the perfect size and come in a variety of colours. I sometimes make mats from patterned paper but these are my favourite ones to use to frame a picture.



Paper slicer and scissors - I use both. I first bought a smaller paper cutter but quickly learned I needed one that cuts 12 inch pages. I've been using this one for years.

Glue and glue tape - I use both. Glue tape can be pricy but I buy the stuff from the dollar store and it works perfectly.

Markers - I use thin tipped markers for all my labelling and journaling. 

Edge rounder - This is not essential at all but I've used it a lot over the years, especially when making my wedding album. Mine was from Creative Memories.

Pencil with eraser



Stickers - I use stickers on many of my layouts, especially words and phrases. They're relatively cheap and can add a lot to the finished look of the page. I've shared how I organize them here.

In the spirit of keeping it real, I should let you know I take up a lot of space when I scrapbook. I keep all my supplies in containers and spread them out, open, all over the guest bed. I have one container for solid card stock, one for patterned card stock, one for smaller paper, one for scraps, one for stickers, and one for other supplies. 



I know I've told you all about the supplies you need, but what about actually making pages? Check back next weekend to see one of my favourite types of layout.


Shared at: Life on Lakeshore Drive, Sew Much Crafting, The Kolb Corner, A Stroll Thru Life, The Crafty Blog Stalker, Fluster Buster, A Creative Princess, What Meegan Makes

4 comments:

  1. I loooove scrapbooking! These are good tips. I take up a TON of room when I scrapbook too. Excited to see more from this series :) I know it can be overwhelming to newbies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! I can never seem to keep up with scrapbooking. I always start with one or two pages and then I take a very long extended break! Thanks so much for sharing this post with us at the Merry Monday link party. Hope to see you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your ideas! I scrapbook too and yes, I take up a lot of room when I am working on them. I just took over a part of my daughter's room , so now it won't be spread out all over the dining room table. Glad to know someone else works the same way I do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a scrapbooker as well and have switched over to the digital version of Project Life. It is such a great way to scrap and I don't have to take up much room anymore. I am so far behind now though and really need to catch up. There doesn't seem to be a lot of time but I am working on it. I like your supplies and agree with the simple version of scrapping. My pages are not fancy either. I even started creating my own designs. Such a fun time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).