Sunday, 8 March 2015

A Prairie Sky: Art Class Number Four

Last week when I shared a free printable and clipboard frame, you got a sneak peek of painting number four: A Prairie Sky. While I don't enjoy living in the prairies, it really is incredibly beautiful here. Even though I've been here for eight years now (wow!) I still find the open fields and beautiful skies to be incredible stunning. 



For this painting I started with a fan brush and painted the sky and grass. I thought this painting would be quick and easy but it was more complicated and took longer than I expected. Getting the textures realistic was time consuming and pushed my (still very limited) skills.



Once that was finished I added my lines. I'm not exactly sure what they're supposed to be but I think that's part of their charm. It's not uncommon to see something far on the horizon and not be able to tell what it is.



Then came the clouds, which were the most challenging part of the painting. I struggled to get my clouds to look like clouds but, with a little help from the teacher, managed to make them look somewhat realistic. I had never noticed the colours in the clouds before but now I can't stop seeing them.



Is it strange to have a favourite part of a painting? The picture above shows mine. There's something about the colour and texture that keeps drawing my eye. 



I'm starting to get a nice little collection of art and I love seeing my pieces hung around the house. It's such a feeling of accomplishment and I can't wait to make more! Want to see my other pieces? Check out Lesson 1:Painted Flowers, Lesson 2: Three Women (still my favourite), and Lesson 3: Funky Trees.

Shared at: The Kolb Corner, A Stroll Thru Life, Kathe With An E, Fluster Buster, What Meegan Makes, Creatively Living, Sew Much Crafting, A Creative Princess

4 comments:

  1. That's cool that you are painting. How long have you been doing that? I like going to this little place here in Oklahoma City. Its called Wine and Palette. I drink wine and at the end bring home a masterpiece. My husband has been painting for about a year now. If you want to check out his art, his site is www.ryanchristopherart.com. I'm sorry that I'm a no-reply blogger but you can still email me at estherdavison@gmail.com, if you want. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! So vibrant and full of life. I love open spaces too so this resonates with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! I love those colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so talented! Beautiful! We are so glad you shared with us at Merry Monday! We can’t wait to see your creativity next week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).