Sunday, 22 February 2015

Painted Mirror

You know those projects that you put off for a very long time, and then once you finally do it wonder why it took you so long? This was one of those projects. 



I've wanted a mirror over the top of the closet / ledge in our living room / entrance for several years but couldn't find the right one. Then a few months ago I found one that was the perfect shape. As an added bonus, it was cheap and not heavy. The only problem was the colour but that's easy to change. And yet, it sat unpainted for months. Honestly, it probably would have stayed that way until summer (aka spray paint season) but the other night I decided it needed to be painted and hung up right away.



One thing I was dreading was taping the round edges but I saw an awesome trick that was responsible for my need to paint it immediately. I wish I knew the blog where I first saw it but I didn't pin it and can't find it again. If you happen to see it, please let me know. So what's the big trick? Instead of taping the mirror, rip pieces of cardboard and tuck them underneath the frame. Quicker and easier than taping, and it worked pretty well.



Now's the point where you should not do what I did. Instead of priming or finding paint meant for plastic, I used cheap white acrylic paint and a foam brush because that's what I had on hand. After several coats I achieved good coverage but the paint did not adhere well. It's fine for my purposes because the mirror is up high and won't be touched but if it was going in a high traffic area, the paint would be chipped and damaged very quickly. Be sure to use the proper kind of paint for your project.



Back to the cardboard trick, once I'd done my final coat I carefully removed the cardboard. The line wasn't as clean as if I'd taped it but, like I said above, this mirror is up high so nobody will be looking at it that closely. If I wanted perfection I could have cut around the edge with a sharp blade before removing the cardboard but I didn't bother.



Thankfully, J was willing to hang it the next morning, as I don't think I could have reached, even on a ladder. It's not placed exactly where I wanted it (slightly more to the right) but I'm not about to complain or ask him to move it. Even though it's not perfect, I'm really pleased. I love the clean look of the clean white frame and it helps break up the large, odd wall in our living room.

Shared at: Sew Much Crafting, The Kolb Corner, A Stroll Thru Life, Sugar Bee Crafts, Kathe With An E, The Crafty Blog Stalker, Fluster Buster, Ginger Snap Crafts, A Creative Princess

4 comments:

  1. How pretty Al! It almost looks like a ships porthole! Thanks for the tip, I have several mirrors to paint and I'm going to use that trick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danni. Being from Newfoundland, I love that description!

      Delete
  2. I love the shape of the mirror and the white really makes it pop! My hubby refuses to hang anything unless I mark exactly where it goes because I tend to complain if it's not in the right spot lol. Thank you for sharing your projects with us at Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that mirror! The shape is gorgeous, and I really love it being white! And I LOVE that cardboard trick!! I actually have a mirror I want to paint white too, and will be trying that trick. Thank you for sharing this at Motivational Monday! We'd love to have you back on Sunday at 6pm. Hope your weekend is going great! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).