Saturday, 10 January 2015

Painted Flowers: My First Art Lesson

I love painting. I find it relaxing and love my ability to create something new and beautiful for cheap. If you've been around my blog for a while, you've seen several of my pieces and if you haven't, you can click on the "art" tab in the "labels" section on the right. Despite all the painting I've done, I'd never had a formal lesson (junior high art doesn't count) until last week.



A friend has done several classes with a local studio, which hosts a Thursday night social painting class. It's a drop in and each lesson is totally independent, so I (along with 3 other friends) went with her. I was quite nervous when the instructor started showing us the techniques but was surprised at how easy it actually was.

I didn't take pictures during the process because I was nervous and wasn't sure if it was allowed and didn't feel comfortable asking at first. Then other people started taking picture but I was too much into my painting to remember to take any. Next time (and there will be a next time) I will. Promise. For this painting, however, I'll just have to explain.


The first step was the sponging. We used wet, natural sponges and a variety of colours to do the entire canvas (including the edges). I used navy blue, light blue, white, deep purple, yellow, and a little bit of red.


Next we roughly sketched and painted the vase. This was, in my opinion, the hardest part and I'm not even going to try and explain it. I'm sure youtube would have some great advice if you were wanting to paint your own.

After that we did the flowers with a small paintbrush. I started with yellow and absolutely hated mine but got stuck trying to fix them. The instructor helped me find a better technique (space by dots out more) and made sure I understood where I should place the lights and shadows. As I said, mine started out yellow. I also added (and blended) shades of blue, purple, red, yellow, blue, and black.


Next we did the leaves, again with a small paintbrush. They were quite simple, using green, white, black, and red to make some highlights and shading.

Then it was time to go back to the vase. I struggled to make the vase look realistic but again the wonderful instructor helped guide me through the process. As with the first time, I'm not even going to try and explain it. Also in case you've never noticed, flowers have green stems. Oops.


Last but not least came the bottom. We were told to use dark colours and make wild and crazy streaks, which is exactly what I did. I used navy, bright blue, brown, purple, and black. This is the one part I'm not in love with. I am pleased with the colours but I feel like the bump (especially on the left) kind of makes it look like water and waves. I debated fixing it but decided to learn to love it as is.


For my first lesson, I'm thrilled with how it turned out (except for the wave) and have it hung up in my guest room. I find myself walking in there several times a day to stare in amazement, and I can't wait to go again!

Shared at: Life on Lakeshore Drive, The Kolb Corner, Sew Much Crafting, Kathe With An E, The Creative Princess, Fluster Buster, Upcycled Treasure, Ginger Snap Crafts, A Creative Princess, 4 You with Love, What Meegan Makes, Creatively Living, Glitter, Glue and Paint

5 comments:

  1. Wow! You go girl! I love that you are brave enough to take a class. I'm still chicken!! Al, I would love to get your blog in my email, but I don't see an option for it. Am I missing it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took several art classes in high school and college but now that it's been 10 years, I am too afraid to go back. I know I have forgotten so many techniques and finesse. I applaud you for taking a class and sharing it with us. Your vase is lovely and the colors are beautiful. Thanks for sharing on Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very impressive! I think it turned out great! Glad to connect through the Jan hobnob! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't blame you for being proud of it! It looks lovely, and I adore the colors you used AI!. I took a painting class a couple of months ago and had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! Love the colors and you should be very proud of it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).