Saturday, 17 January 2015

Essential Oil Furniture Polish

Have you jumped on the essential oil bandwagon yet? I started using Doterra oils a couple years ago but I've only recently been really exploring their many uses. Lately I've become so in love with them that I've even signed up as a distributer. Seriously, I'm hooked.

But back to the point, one of my new loves is my homemade furniture polish. 



I actually don't need to polish my furniture. My coffee and end tables are cheap pressed wood and aren't in great condition. The whole reason I do is to help repel the dog hair, which seems to take over my house within 48 hours of cleaning. With store bought polish I would polish the furniture at least every two weeks. With this I easily go a month between polishing and it's still (relatively) free of dog hair. It's easy to make and smells deliciously clean. Plus it has no harmful chemicals to worry about. 

One warning about this polish - it's really oily. It takes a little while to sink in (my furniture feels slick for a day or two) but to me it's totally worth it. 

Ingredients:
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
25 drops Citrus Bliss essential oil (any citrus oil would work)



Measure your ingredients. Pour them in the spray bottle. Label. Done.

Give it a shake before each use.

Please test a small, inconspicuous part of the piece you plan to polish to make sure it doesn't damage your wood. I haven't had any issues but I'm not responsible (and would feel horrible) if this somehow ruins your furniture.

One last thing - it's not recommended to use plastic bottles for essential oils. However, I live in a small city and have very limited shopping selections. I originally made this in a mason jar and dipped my cloth in it but wanted a spray bottle. This was the best I could find. When I make my next trip to the city (or get around to finding one online) I'll switch to a glass bottle.

Shared at: What Meegan Makes, Creatively Living, The Kolb Corner, Kathe With An E, A Stroll Thru Life, Sew Much Crafting, Sugar Bee Crafts, A Creative Princess

3 comments:

  1. Look what popped up in my in-box! Yay! I am clueless about essential oils really, but I know that I love to smell lotions and candles and can't pass one by without smelling it! Maybe I would dust more if my furniture polish actually smelled good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen information about the uses for essential oil everywhere lately but I have never heard of this. That is so neat! Thanks for sharing on Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I'd much rather use an all natural and easy cleaner like this on my furniture, especially with a little one around! Thanks for sharing with us at Motivational Monday! Hope to see you again Tomorrow night at 6pm! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).