Saturday, 31 January 2015

Book Club and Cookies x 2

I was sorting picture the other day and realize I haven't posted my recipes from the last two book clubs. Oops. 

Back in late November we met to "discuss" One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. The reason I say "discuss" is because not a single one of us had actually finished the book. I've since finished the book and, although it took me a while to get into it, I can appreciate why it's a classic.



I brought Pomegranate - Oatmeal - Carob Chip cookies that I shared a couple years ago but this time made them gluten and dairy free. I simply replaced the flour with a gluten-free blend (Cloud 9) and the butter with a soy spread. Also, I realize pomegranates are out of season right now. That's what I get for taking so long to post this.



When I made these using non gluten-free and dairy-free ingredients they froze really well, but that wasn't the case this time. They tasted best fresh out of the oven or after sitting on the counter for a few hours. After they had been refrigerated, they got soft when put back out at room temperature. I solved the problem by eating the leftovers straight from the freezer but wanted to give you a heads up. Despite the softness, I still love these cookies!

Our next meeting was in early January to discuss The Dinner by Herman Koch. What a book. I was really into it at first but my interest fizzled as I continued reading. Despite that, it was one of my favourite books that we've chosen for book club. The questions we used to guide our discussion led to some very thoughtful, engaging conversation.



For this meeting I made Banana Bread Cookies. I used this recipe from The Rebel Chick and followed it quite closely. I swapped out things I can't have (flour, butter, chocolate chips) for gluten and dairy free alternatives (gf flour blend, soy butter, carob chips), but other than that I followed the recipe exactly. These were delicious and I'll definitely make them again.



My book club ladies are always open to suggestions so if you've read any great books, I'd love to know about them!

Shared at: Sew Much Crafting, The Kolb Corner, Sugar Bee Crafting, A Creative Princess, 4 You With Love, Glitter Glue & Paint, Creatively Living, A Stroll Thru Life, Kathe With An E, Made in a Day, Life on Lakeshore Drive, Petite Allergy Blog

2 comments:

  1. Oh yum Al! Those look great, I'd probably prefer the Banana Bread ones, but I never turn down any cookie! Love the way you solved your problem by eating them straight out of the freezer. I love books and some of my recent favorites are "The Light Between the Oceans", "Burial Rites", "All the Light We Cannot See" and "The Orchardist".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cookies look great! I loved being part of a book club, but ours always deteriorated into a gossip-fest rather than ever discussing the books! LOL. Pinning your cookies! Thank you for linking at Merry Monday! Julia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).