Tuesday, 18 November 2014

Book Club and Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Pumpkin Squares with Cream Cheese Icing

First, let me apologize for the pictures. I made this recipe when I was in the midst of being crazy busy and I didn't take the time to get good pictures. Please don't be deceived - while the squares are absolutely delicious, the pictures don't do them justice.

These squares actually came about from a lack of time and a love of cream cheese icing. I needed something for book club and was craving my pumpkin roll with cream cheese icing but just didn't have the time to make it. Instead I modified the recipe to make squares. 



In case you're wondering, our book this month was The House At Riverton by Kate Morton. In my opinion it was a decent read but not overly captivating. I didn't find myself wanting to stay up late to read. However, we had some fantastic discussion about it that made me develop a much stronger appreciation of the book. Anyway, back to the squares.

In case you're wondering, you can easily use non gluten-free and dairy-free ingredients if you don't have food issues. I just use replacements I can actually eat.



Squares:

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup gluten-free flour (I used Cloud 9)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
3/4 cup canned pumpkin

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Using a mixer, blend the eggs, sugar, and vanilla.

Blend the pumpkin into the wet mixture.

In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.Slowly add to the wet ingredients and blend until smooth.

Pour the batter into a greased 9 x 12 pan and bake approximately 25 - 30 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the squares comes out clean.



Icing:

1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese style soy, softened (I used Tofutti)
3/4 cup soy butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cream all ingredients together using a mixer.

Allow the cake to cool (or if you're impatient like me, don't) and ice. Place in the fridge to set the icing.

Shared at: Ginger Snap Crafts, Glitter, Glue & Paint, Natasha in Oz, Life on Lakeshore Drive, Belle of the Kitchen, Sew Much Crafting, A Stroll Thru Life, Kathe With An E

2 comments:

  1. G'day Looks great! All blog comments appreciated and sharing is caring today!
    Cheers! Joanne @ What's On The List #SayGdayParty pinned

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe at the Say G’Day linky party. I’ve just pinned your post!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).