Tuesday, 11 November 2014

Abstract (Camouflage) Art Work

I realize it has been a while since I last posted and that my posts have become somewhat irregular. Without boring you with details, let me tell you that this has been absolutely, positively the most all-consuming, exhausting school year in my 9 years of teaching. I haven't been crafting or making projects, or running, or doing much of anything other than work. While I don't see this changing any time soon, I decided today to take some time for me. I went for a freezing (-22 Celsius) run and then spent a few hours making a new piece of art work.



I made this piece to replace the smushed paint artwork for the guest room that I didn't love, and used the same colours as found in my herringbone art and colour burst art. The inspiration was the piece over the bed in this post from Beautiful Matters but the painting took on its own style as I painted. I would definitely call it abstract but I feel like it also has a camouflage feel to it.


For paint colours I used navy, brown, green, light blue, silver, and white. I also mixed navy with white, brown with white, and silver with white to get a few different shades. Rather than explain how I did it, I took photos every few colours / steps so you can see the progression.






Once the painting was finished I let it dry and put it in one of the ikea frames I'd originally used for the smushed paint artwork. While I still have a mountain of schoolwork, I'd say it was a day well spent.

4 comments:

  1. What a great piece of original artwork! It makes me think even I could do something similar. Visiting from the Merry Mondays party.

    Be Well--The Lady Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear things have been a bit overwhelming lately. I'm sure you miss running and blogging and just having time for yourself. Hope things lighten up and you can get back into a routine you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. G'day Looks great! All blog comments appreciated and sharing is caring today!
    Cheers! Joanne @ What's On The List #SayGdayParty pinned
    Hang in there, there will be better days ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always thought teachers had it rough. Hang in there, and congrats on getting out for a run in the crazy cold. Thanks for sharing at Welcome to the Woods Wednesday.

    XOXO,
    Sarah @ Backwoods Babies

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).