Tuesday, 23 September 2014

My First Quilt Part 1

I've been sharing little bits of my guest room with you but I haven't shown you the most important (in my opinion) part: the quilt.

I've never made a quilt before and don't actually know what I'm doing so there won't be a tutorial here but I'm excited to show you what I've done so far.



All fabrics in this quilt are from Pat Bravo's Indie line. I bought them from Moona Fabrics (this isn't a sponsored post) and love the bright colours and fun patterns. 


   
To start, I found a lovely picture on pinterest. The only problem was it didn't link to anything so I had to do some math and figure out sizes and measurements. Let me tell you, math is not my forte. Fortunately it all worked out.



I decided my meter stick and scissors weren't going to cut it (ahahah, I'm so punny) so I finally bought a rotary cutter and mat. I'm in love. Why did I not buy these tools sooner?



Anyway, once the pieces were cut I placed them on the bed. I decided I wasn't loving one of the fabrics but I'd bought extra so I swapped it out.



Next came the sewing, which was surprisingly quick. I pinned the pieces, and then ran them through the sewing machine.



My one piece of advice is one I read online but can't remember where: don't iron your seams. If you iron them, you can stretch the fabric. Instead, use the iron on the steam setting and press the seams flat.



Once each row was finished I sewed them together. This took a little shifting because, as I'd said, math is not my forte.



And that's where the project has stalled. School has been insane this year and I haven't had the time or energy to research how to make a border. 



Shared at: Fluster Buster, Ginger Snap Crafts, Glitter, Glue, and Paint, A Creative Princess, Natasha in Oz, Serenity You, Life on Lakeshore Drive, Lines Across, My Pinterventures, Kathe With An E, A Stroll Thru Life, Sugar Bee Crafts, 4 You With Love, Diana Rambles, Our SecondHand House

8 comments:

  1. You're off to a good start - and it really brightens up your room! Sometimes, depending on the size, you can sew your quilt top to a new (or old sheet) or blanket, then bind them together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun fabrics! I love a good quilt, and that is the only thing I EVER put on my bed. I don't like the puffiness of other blanket options. I wish I could sew, but this is looking awesome. Can't wait to see the full finished product.

    Sarah @ Backwoods Babies

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this at Kathe With an E You're Gonna Love it party and had to come take a look. I am in awe that you have actually just jumped in and started/almost finished your first quilt. I sew a lot, but am still in the "thinking about it and making small quilted projects" phase! Your quilt looks great!! I will admit, the binding part is what stalls me the most. I have researched lots of methods and I think I have settled on the method that I think will work for me. But still I procrastinate! :) It's a big commitment, so I applaud you! :) Good luck- I know you will finish it up beautifully- can't wait to see the binding method you decide on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great start to your first quilt! No matter what border method you decide on, I'm sure that the quilt will turn out beautifully. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I <3 your 1st quilt!! The color blocks pop! Pinned

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! This post is featured over at Diana Rambles today and has been pinned in the Featured at Diana Rambles board at Pinterest, Tweeted, and Recommended on G+. Please grab a featured button off my sidebar or via the link under the features. Thanks for sharing this awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your first quilt! The tip about pressing the seams rather than ironing is great. Thanks for linking up at the Stitch It, Blog It, Share Link Party. I hope you’ll join us every Sunday night at 7 with more of your creative sewing projects.
    ~Bonnie @ Behind the Seams Sewing

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).