Sunday, 24 August 2014

Runners Tell All: Favourite Person To Train With/Routine/Tips

It's time again for the monthly link up from Amanda at The Lady Okie and Becka at Sunshine to the Square Inch. This month the topic is Favourite Person To Train With / Routine / Tips.


I know I'm a little late with this but I wasn't sure I was going to link up. I actually injured myself at the start of the summer and took a lot longer to heal than expected. However, I've been feeling great lately so I decided this morning to get back at it. While I was out running my usual route I snapped a few pictures and decided to write about who I run with and when I run. As you'll see, it's very beautiful where I run. We live in a small city and our house is on the edge of it so I run away from houses as much as possible.

I usually see these horses on my run.

I'm a solo runner. While I started running for health reasons and because I liked the thought of it, it has become such an important part of my life. I'm a teacher at an alternative school and am one of those lucky people who loves their job! In case you're not familiar with the role of an alternate school, we're the school for the students in our division who are struggling or unable to be successful in a traditional school setting. As much as I love it, it can quite stressful. Anyway, once I got into the groove of running, it became my release. It's my time to reflect on the events of the day or week, and to work through my stresses and emotions. It's also when I come up with some of my best ideas for addressing issues and developing lesson plans.

There aren't many lakes around here but I often run beside this one.

As for when I run, if you read the last paragraph you can probably guess. My favourite time to go is after school. I'm a morning person but I like to go to school early and don't want to give up that time for running. Also, as I explained above, it allows me time to work through my day. I actually think running after school has helped me find balance because it allows me to work through my day so during the evening I can focus on other things. I remember one day in particular last year that was extremely challenging. I didn't leave school until much later than usual, picked up take-out on the way home, and told J to go ahead and eat his. I left my food in the microwave and went for a run. At the start of my run I was in a horrible mood but by the time I got home I was feeling more calm. It didn't magically fix the situation but it did allow me to work through it, which was exactly what I needed.

My route takes around these cows most days.

As for any tips, the only thing I struggle with when running after school is getting supper ready. I typically know what days I plan on running during a week and will plan meals for those days that can be prepared and then put in the oven and left for an hour. I'll prepare them when I get home and put them in the oven, then leave a note for J with the temperature and length of time. He turns the oven on and sets the timer and by the time I'm home supper is almost ready. I don't know about you but after a run, I'm hungry!

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree that running is an awesome stress reliever! I usually get my runs in before work and it REALLY helps me face my day with a better attitude. But like you, I'm hungry after I run and even though I eat a big breakfast, I regularly find myself breaking into my lunchbox and eating most of my food before 10:30. Bummer! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that running helps you relieve stress and also generate ideas. When I was in college, sometimes I'd purposefully go running when I was having trouble organizing my ideas into an essay or creating a thesis statement. Often by the time my run was over, I'd essentially have my introduction written. I don't know why running helps me think, but it does! Thanks for sharing your running routine and the challenges it presents in your daily schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You have a fantastic view. Looks lovely out there. I completely agree that running helps me work through stuff. I'm glad you have your release! You have a good idea to plan out your meals so they are ready when you get back. I am always super hungry after a run! Thanks for linking up :) Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pictures are beautiful! Good for you running at the end of the day -- I'm not "naturally" a morning runner but it's SO easy to not get around to running if I don't do it first thing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).