Wednesday, 27 August 2014

Ground Turkey Hamburger Soup (Gluten and Dairy-Free)

One thing I used to loathe was packing a lunch every day. It was annoying enough when I could eat anything but after giving up gluten and dairy is became a serious challenge. Towards the end of last year I found the perfect solution: individual portions of frozen soup. Given how well it worked, I decided to do it again this year. 


I couldn't resist a tiny bowl before freezing the rest.

This hamburger soup was one of my favourites last year so I made another batch. The recipe is a modified version of one I was given by my principal. Because I don't eat beef, I make mine with ground turkey. I also change the types and amounts of veggies depending on what I have on hand.

Ingredients:
1 pound ground turkey (I typically just use 1 package)
3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
1 large onion, chopped
4 stalks celery, sliced
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 cans mushroom pieces
2 cups chicken bullion
1/2 cup ketchup
4 cups hot water (+extra to top up)
salt and pepper to taste


Instructions:

Step 1: Cook ground turkey in a frying pan. 

Step 2: In the bottom of a large soup pot, heat olive oil, carrots, onion, celery, and garlic. Cook until the vegetables are almost cooked but still slightly crunchy.

*I usually do steps 1 and 2 at the same time.

Step 3: Add the ground turkey and all the other ingredients into the soup pot. As you can see below, I typically add a little extra water to make my pot extra full. Bring to a simmer until veggies are completely cooked. Based on how cooked my veggies are when I add the liquids, I let my soup simmer for about 30 - 45 minutes.


Last week I spent an afternoon in the kitchen and, along with this hamburger soup, I made two other recipes. By spending one afternoon in the kitchen I started the school year with 31 individual lunches frozen and ready to go. Add in lunch out once a week and a few meals of leftovers and I should be good until November.

10 meals of hamburger soup, cooling and ready for the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).