Tuesday, 22 July 2014

Picking Paint Colours

It has taken me a while to find my decorating style but I'm getting there. One thing I've come to realize is that as much as I love colour in my house, I don't like it on my walls. I'm a beige girl. There's just something about it that speaks to me and makes me feel comfortable in my house. 

All that to say our house is getting painted. I will do some rooms myself (I quite enjoy painting) and we will hire someone to do the main parts because I'm not tackling a two-story wall with a vaulted ceiling. I'm crazy but not that crazy. 


Because this colour will be carried throughout our house I wanted to be sure I'd like it but didn't want to paint parts of the wall in every room. I saw this idea somewhere but, despite much searching, can't find the original post I saw. I commented on it so if it was your post please let me know.


I narrowed my choices down to five beiges and bought some samples. I then painted each colour on several sheets of white paper, labeled them, and let them dry. 

Once the papers were dry I hung them around the house in different locations. As you can see, the lighting totally changes depending on the room. Once they were up we were able to eliminate several right away and then I took a few weeks to narrow down the final three to one.


Want to know which one was the winner? You'll have to come back later and see. I've spent the day painting the guest room with the one we picked and I love it! I'll post about it soon.

Shared at: Ginger Snap Crafts, Sew Much Crafting, Someday Crafts, The Happy Housie, A Creative Princess, Lines Across, My Pinterventures, Sugar Bee Crafts, Kathe With An E, A Stroll Thru Life, Home Coming, Tiny Sidekick, Fluster Buster

4 comments:

  1. I think beige gets a bad rap. It's a perfect neutral and it seems to play nicely with everything ;).

    Do tell! Which did you choose??

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good idea, as I was going to go with putting palettes together using the cards and call it done....may have to consider this route, too :)

    Stopping by from Merry Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great idea, its impossible to tell the colour from a tiny square sample that you get from the store isnt it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea - and I like all of the beige colors - they go with everything and have a warm feeling! Thanks for linking up the Merry Monday Linky! Julia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).