Friday, 4 July 2014

(Not So) Easy Penny Art

This project has been a long time in the making - almost a year and a half to be specific. In February 2013 the Canadian government started phasing out the penny. Shortly before that I began saving my pennies with the plan to make a simple piece of penny art.



Unfortunately what should have been a quick and easy project has been neither of those things because glue and I were not getting along. First I tried regular white glue, only to find that my pennies fell off. It  annoyed me so I put it away with the intention of coming back to it.


White Glue

Several months later I decided to try again. Over the course of a couple days I unsuccessfully tried Gorilla Glue (didn't stick), hot glue gun (bumped up too much), and even crazy glue (giant mess!). Once again, I was frustrated by my lack of success so I put it away for later. 


Gorilla Glue (before it fell apart)

Another several months passed and I decided to try again. This time I used sticky dots (the kind used for scrapbooking) to attach the pennies. It has been a couple days so far and the pennies are still attached so I'm optimistic.



I plan on making a larger one but want to wait and see how this one holds up. Normally I don't want to share something I'm not sure will last but I'm looking for some advice. If the sticky dots don't hold (I'll let you know), what would you try to make the pennies stick?



Shared at: Natasha in Oz, Serenity You, Life on Lakeshore Drive, C.R.A.F.T., My Pinterventures, Echoes of Laughter, A Stroll Thru Life, Kathe With An E, Belle of the Kitchen, Sew Much Crafting, Fluster Buster, Ginger Snap Crafts, Someday Crafts, The Happy Housie, A Creative Princess

4 comments:

  1. This is really awesome. I recently did a Penny Counter-top in our kitchen, and my kids favorite thing to do is have visitors find all the old pennies and Canadian pennies. I love it.

    Sarah @ Backwoods Babies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! What a fun project. I love that you kept coming back to the pennies several months later...a crafter after my own heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I'm surprised that the gorilla and super glue didn't hold the pennies up. Good to know. Thanks for sharing your project with us on Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From my experience with sticky dots I imagine they'll stand the test of time--I'm a big fan of sticky dots! :) I didn't know that Canada had phased out the penny. I used to live in Malaysia, and they phased out their 1 sen coin a couple years ago...I wonder if America will ever do the same...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).