Monday, 30 June 2014

The Great Closet Clean Out of 2014

It makes me crazy having a closet full of clothes but nothing to wear. I'm not the only one who has this problem, right? I get up every morning, stare at all my clothes, try on a half dozen outfits, and finally settle on something that's "good enough". As a way to start the summer off on the right note, I've decided to do a major purge of my closet.


I taped my rules to my full-length mirror so I would be forced to keep them in mind.

Because I like guiding questions (maybe it's the teacher in me), below are mine. I read (too) many articles about cleaning out a wardrobe and these are the ones that stuck with me.

1. Would I buy this now?
2. Does this fit?
3. Do I wear this? If no, why not?
4. Is this old/worn out?

I should give a bit of background. I'm not a clothes hoarder. In fact, I regularly purge my closet. However over the last two years I've lost some weight and gone down several clothing sizes. I've been trying to avoid buying a lot of new clothes as I'm still not at the size I want to be so I've been wearing a lot of clothes that are too big and don't fit properly. When it gets big to the point that it's falling off, I get rid of it but I've been limping along some items that should have gone a while ago.


Empty hangers mean I accomplished what I'd hoped: own less clothes.

To start the great closet clean out, I went through my closet, pulled out things that I knew had to go, and separated them into piles (for a friend, donate, trash). That was the easy part.

Next I went back through and was more selective; I tried on every piece that was still in my closet. Every. Piece. Well, except socks and undergarments. Most of the time, once I had a piece on I knew whether it should go back in the closet or into one of the piles. There were a few pieces that were challenging, but I was ruthless.


My pile for a friend was the biggest of the three piles leaving my house.
    
It's sad to me that I had so much clothes that I wasn't wearing. No wonder I could never find something that felt comfortable and looked good. Now comes the hard part - not filling it up again.

Shared at: The Crafty Blog Stalker, Fluster Buster, Ginger Snap Crafts, Sew Much Crafting, Clean and Scentsible, Someday Craft, The Happy Housie, Glitter, Glue and Paint, A Creative Princess, Artsy Fartsy Mama, The Happy Scraps, Diana Rambles, Natasha in Oz, Serenity You, Life on Lakeshore Drive, C.R.A.F.T., My Pinterventures, Echoes of Laughter, A Stroll Thru Life, Kathe With An E

8 comments:

  1. Not only am I a NEW follower, but I'm now blogging buddy number 100 on your GFC counter! hahaha. yay :) Anyways, Just found your blog from the Work it Wednesday blog hop! Excited to be following you along via Bloglovin and GFC :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to clean out my closet, thanks for the ideas :) Found you through the creative exchange -Newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cleaning out my closet! And I agree, I'm not a clothes hoarder, but somehow it seems like every year I have more and more to get rid of. I think I'm just becoming more ruthless as time goes on :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love being ruthless in my closet.
    I’d love for you to share this (or anything else) at The Weekend Social, starting Thursday at 9pm EST at www.thequestionablehomesteader.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love being able to see all of my clothes. As hard as it is to get rid of stuff--especially clothes that I loved but are wearing out--it's so nice to pick an outfit in the morning and not have to put anything back because it doesn't fit or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did this a few weeks ago. I lost 12 lbs, which isn't a lot but I went down one size and like you, I was getting tired of pulling up my pants all the time! lol I was pretty ruthless too. It felt good :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, congrats on your weight loss. Love your questions. I think you have to be ruthless when cleaning out anything...especially the closet. Thanks for sharing on Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to you! This is one of those tasks that I know should be done but I am dreading it big time. Thanks for the motivation.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).