Tuesday, 24 June 2014

Fun and Fancy Dish Towels

Do you have any projects you've pinned that stick in your head? That was the case for me with these modern dish towels from Little Bit Funky. Ever since I saw them and pinned the link, I've been wanting to make them. I'm glad to say I can now cross them off my list. 
     

While I don't need any hand towels (thanks to my awesome grandma who has knit me lots) I do need some larger ones for the dog. We always keep one or two by the door but they're too small to be effective. When I saw these cute towels I thought they would be perfect and I paired them up with some leftover fabric from my living room curtains, kitchen curtains, pillows, table runner, bench, and fabric covered balls.


If you're looking for fantastic step-by-step instructions, head on over to Little Bit Funky to see hers. If you're more of a picture person, then this is the post for you.


One difference from the original tutorial to mine is that I didn't cut mine in half but instead used the whole towel. Our dog is a big dog, so she needs a big towel.





Another difference is the original called for ribbon but I didn't have any that matched my material so I decided to make my own straps. As you can see, I don't have fancy sewing gear. Who needs a rotary cutter or self-healing mat when have a yard stick?






As you can see, each towel turned out slightly different (perhaps because I didn't measure anything except the width) but I think they're all cute. I have one hung on the hook by the door all ready for when it's needed. Now to wait for some rain so we can see how well they really work.


12 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! I love them. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute idea! Just pinned :) Thanks for sharing tutorial!
    Hope you have a wonderful day!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now how fun and creative is this. Love this idea. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! They turned out great! Thanks for stopping by the Creative Exchange Link Party and linking up! Make sure to stop by on Thursday for another installment :) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your towels came out really cute. Love that you showed that you don't need fancy equipment. Thanks for sharing on Merry Monday and hope to see you again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these so much Al! So pretty and beautiful fabric choices! I hope you are well! I featured it! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I seriously need these on my oven door! My girls go through a million towels a day it seems!
    Thanks for linking up to the creative exchange link party. Don't forget to stop on by on Thursday to link up what you have been working on this week!
    http://www.avisiotoremember.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried a rotary cutter and the blades were expensive and went dull fast. I still use my yardstick too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so cute and very handy too! Found you on Stitch it, Blog it, Share it.
    Linda
    mysewwhatblog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these! The towels are so modern and I love the fabric you used!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your towels are awesome! Thanks for linking up at the Stitch It, Blog It, Share Link Party. I hope you’ll join us every Sunday night at 7 with more of your creative sewing projects.
    ~Bonnie @ Behind the Seams Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool! Love the prints and colors.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).