Monday, 19 May 2014

Printable Tutorial: Home Sweet Home

You know those projects that you're cautiously optimistic about? This is one of them. It could have gone either way so I'm pleased to say I'm beyond thrilled with the results.


Ignore the lines. They're the reflection of the stair rail.

It all started with my most recent trip to Ikea, during which I purchased a slew of Ribba frames. I knew I wanted to change out my stairway art to two pieces - one with some sort of welcome or home message, and one that's a secret for now. I was looking online but couldn't find exactly what I wanted so I decided to try making it myself.



Here's how I did it.

Step 1: Go to PicMonkey (love that site) and select edit. Choose a photo from your computer. I wanted to pick one that was high quality so I used one of my wedding photos. The photo you choose doesn't matter because you're covering it up.

   
Step 2: Under basic edits, select canvas colour and play around until you find one you like. Once you're happy, click apply.



Step 3: Next go to text and find one you like. I used Marcelle Script. Click add text and type your words.



Step 4: Play around with your font. I made mine white, centred, and 500 size.



Step 5: Once you're pleased, save your project.

I actually made these yesterday in multiple colours. I knew that J and I were heading to the city today so I would be able to pick up what I printed. I sent two different 8x10s to Costco and today when I picked them up I almost squealed. For just over $4 I have two beautiful prints. 



When I got them home I was so excited to frame them but the shade of the mat looked really odd with the white frame and white letters. I decided to spray paint it but when I took it apart, I realized the back was white. Instead of spray painting I just turned it over. The only difference is it doesn't have the beveled edge but I'm ok with that.


Notice the ugly off-white colour? It just doesn't work.

The only downside is the colours aren't exactly the shades I'd hoped for (they looked different on my computer screen) but for such a good price I've decided to hang one up and see if it grows on me. If not, I'll just make another.

Isn't that a happy looking dog? I think Raven likes the new print.



If you make your own, I'd love to see!

Shared at: My Pinterventures, A Stroll Thru Life, Kathe With An E, The Crafty Blog Stalker, Sugar Bee Crafts, Home Coming, Tiny Sidekick, Fluster Buster, Ginger Snap Crafts, The Happy Housie, A Creative Princess, 4 You With Love, A Conquered Mess, Glitter Glue & Paint, The Happy Scraps, Natasha in Oz, Diana Rambles, Lines Across, Life on Lakeshore Drive, Echoes of Laughter

4 comments:

  1. Such a cute printable Allison. A classic saying for sure :)
    Corey @ TinySidekick.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you love PicMonkey. It's so easy to create cute things with it. Thanks for sharing on Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I think the color is beautiful! :) sharing on Pinterest! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use PicMonkey all the time and add titles to my photos, but I never thought to use an overlay to create artwork! You are such a smart crafty girl! Love the red! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).