Wednesday, 28 May 2014

Print-Wrapped Picture Frames

A few weeks ago was Education Week and one of the events for our school division was a literacy fair. For the fair we decided to have students available to answer questions about literacy, learning, and life at our school. To display some questions to prompt people, I got to make a few print-wrapped picture frames.

  
To start I dug out some Ikea Ram frames that we had at school. I don't know if they still sell them or not.



I took a book and cut some pages into pieces (which was very hard for me to do), making sure not all pieces were the same shape. I then started attaching pieces of paper with modge podge using a sponge brush. I worked in small sections because it made life easier, and turned the pages slightly so the text wasn't all straight.


Next I turned the frame around so I was looking at the back, cut the pieces to the proper length to fold around the frame, and used more mode podge to attach the paper. Again, I worked in small sections.



I repeated the same thing with the other edge. I'm finding it hard to explain what I did but hopefully the pictures clarify my meaning. 


It took me a while to find my groove but once I did, while it was time consuming, wrapping the frames was pretty easy. Once they were all wrapped and the modge podge was dry,  I gave the entire frame another coat of mode podge.


I'm totally going to toot my own horn on this one - I think they look fantastic. The book pages were perfectly suited to the event and they added just the right amount of detail and interest.  

8 comments:

  1. This is a seriously neat craft idea - I'm so pinning this to steal the idea later!! :) Visiting from C'mon Get Crafty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a creative idea for dressing up a boring frame! Thanks for sharing at The Creative Exchange!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very effective way to cover those boring plain frames.

    Handmade at Warratahstree

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great! Go ahead and toot your horn :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! The frames look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea AI, and you're right, they were perfectly suited for this event. This idea could easily be adapted to compliment almost any theme. My mind is racing now! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. super cute idea! We would love for you to come and link up with us at Your Designs This Time! http://elizabethjoandesigns.com/2014/06/designs-time-no-13/

    ReplyDelete
  8. G'day lovely lady! That is such a great idea!. I've just pinned your post and it is also on my Pinterest Page on Facebook.

    Thanks for sharing at the Say G'day Saturday Linky Party!

    Best wishes for a fabulous week,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).