Friday, 2 May 2014

Book Club and Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Carob Chip Squares

Our book for last month was The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith, which I really enjoyed. It was a quick, easy, entertaining read and I've added the rest of the series to my reading list.


Sorry the pictures aren't great. I was more concerned with making
the cookies and being on time than with staging pretty photos.

For our book club meeting I tried a new recipe. The recipe came from the daughter of a colleague, who made them it foods class. I modified it a little bit to suit my needs. These are probably the best  gluten-free dairy-free squares I've made yet!


Ingredients:

2 eggs
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup gluten-free pancake & waffle mix*
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup carob chips

*The original recipe called for gluten-free baking and pancake mix but I couldn't find one without dairy.


Instructions:

Step 1: Beat together eggs, oil, and vanilla.

Step 2: Add in and beat sugar and pancake mix.

Step 3: Stir in coconut and carob chips.

Step 4: Spread batter into a greased 9 x 9 pan.

Step 5: Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes, until the square is set and golden brown.

Step 6: Cool before cutting. This is hard. They smell amazing and I didn't want to wait. If you don't, the cookies crumble.



Also, in looking through my photos I realized I never shared one of my other book club evenings with you. A couple months ago our novel was The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson. It was a quirky, unusual book but I thought it was great. For our meeting I made peanut butter, oatmeal, carob chip cookies. You can find the recipe here.



Shared at: Natasha in OzSerenity You, Life on Lakeshore Drive, Lines Across, Kathe With An E, Fluster Buster, Clean & Scentsible, Ginger Snap Crafts, Glitter, Glue, and Paint, 4 You With Love, A Creative Princess, A Stroll Thru Life, Home Coming, The Crafty Blog Stalker, Sugar Bee Crafts, A Conquered Mess, Diana Rambles

5 comments:

  1. These look delicious! Thanks for making and sharing! | DoMeasurablyMore.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so many great gf recipes via the Fluster Muster party. Pinning your yummy dessert:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! I would love for you share it on my Tasty Tuesday recipe link up here! Everything gets pinned and I would love to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I'm gf and pinning to try:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).