Tuesday, 1 April 2014

Chicken and Rice Soup (Gluten and Dairy-Free)

One thing I have struggled with since going gluten-free and dairy-free is school lunches. I don’t always have leftovers and, other than one specific type of vegetarian burrito, I can’t find microwave meals that don’t make me sick. To solve this problem I’ve decided to make a batch of soup once or twice a month and freeze it into individual portions.


To start I made this delicious chicken and rice soup, which is a variation of this recipe for chicken soup with rice from KokoCooks.

Ingredients:

2 tbsp canola oil
2 tbsp minced garlic
4 carrots, peeled and diced
4 celery ribs, peeled and diced
2 medium onions, chopped
8 cups chicken stock
1 rotisserie chicken (minus wings and drumsticks), chopped
4 cups cooked rice
Salt and pepper


Instructions:

Step 0: Make chicken stock. I call this step 0 because it’s not something I would normally do. Unfortunately grocery store chicken stock all has gluten and the only place in town that sells gluten free bullion cubes was closed when I went to get my ingredients.

While making my chicken stock, I also cooked my rice.


Step 1: In a large pot, head olive oil and garlic over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, and onion, and cook until softened.


Step 2: Add chicken stock to vegetables and bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer.


Step 3: Add chopped chicken and rice, and simmer for an additional ten minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.


After eating a bowl while it was still hot from the stove, I still had nine meals to freeze. I’ve eaten several of them for lunches and the soup is just a good reheated as when it was fresh.


3 comments:

  1. Soup is one of my favorite things to make (and eat!) and I'm always on the look out for healthy and yummy new recipes to try AI. Can't go wrong with chicken soup in my book!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, how do you make your chicken stock? Do you follow a recipe or just throw in the chicken stuff and boil it down? I didn't know the grocery store stock had gluten in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I saw this recipe a week or so ago but then lost track of where I saw it, wow, found you in a linky today. I can't wait to try your recipe. I make my soup in sorta the same way, by cooking vegetables separately, there so much better. I also found a product I am loving to add flavor, to my broth called, its called "Better Than Bouillon" from Superior Touch, it comes in a jar and is a paste. I am not sure if it is gluten free. Great too for a great cup of bouillon. Thanks again!!
    http://ohmyheartsiegirl.com/index.php/what-i-made-yesterday-wordless-wednesday-9/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).