Friday, 21 March 2014

Runners Tell All: My Favourite Gear

I know I don't normally post twice in one day but I had prescheduled the post for this morning and forgot to postpone it. That means you get two in one day. Lucky you.

It’s time again for the monthly running link up from Amanda at The Lady Okie and Becka at Sunshine to the Square Inch. This month the topic is My Favourite Running Gear.  


I have a (not so) secret to tell you – when you picture a runner, you don’t picture someone like me. I’m not athletic looking or even average. I’m larger than that and when I’m running, I wear my size like a badge. Yes, I’m overweight and yes, I can and do run.

The reason I’m telling you this is because it’s hard to find plus-size running clothes that don't cost a fortune. The majority of my clothes comes from Old Navy and I’m very limited in colours and styles. Perhaps this lack of options is why my favourite running gear isn’t actually cute clothing, but accessories.


The first thing I must have are my double-layer socks from Running Room. I used to get crazy blisters and these are amazing. I haven’t had a single blister since I’ve been wearing these.


My next must have is my anti-blister stick. I opt for the drugstore brand because I’m cheap and I can buy it locally. As I’ve stated, I’m a big girl. Chafing isn’t pretty but it happens. Thankfully this stuff helps a lot. 
    

Last but not least is my Buff. I really hate the pattern but that’s not important. I love this thing and mainly use it as a headband/ear warmer. It doesn’t matter how warm it is, I can’t stand wind blowing in my ears. When it’s really cold and I need a toque I wear it over my neck and mouth.

Now that I've told you my must haves, it's time for a shameless plug. Have you seen my diy workout shirt? It's still a favourite of mine when I'm working out at home.

Want to my other post from the series?

5 comments:

  1. I won't work out or run at all without using body glide. That stuff is amazing!! Love the DIY workout shirt. Too fun!! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a Buff too - so great for protecting your ears from cold winds, and, like you say - flexible enough to cover your nose and mouth in cold temps. Love your home-made shirt too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, I should have put my headband on my list! That's an essential piece of equipment, too. I rarely wear a hat, but I cannot stand the wind in my ears. It hurts so badly!

    I think you should design an affordable line of plus size workout gear. I bet that would be a very profitable endeavor (although admittedly I have no idea how someone would go about that). I know from organizing a C25K group in my area that LOTS of women who work out are plus size!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you linked up! It really isn't about cuteness but functionality. Although they really should make cute workout clothes for larger sizes. Come on, people! Glad you don't have to worry about blisters anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea that workout clothes didn't come in all sizes. That's kind of rude of the industry. However, I say props to you for finding fun gear. At some point I need to get an anti-blister stick. I've had several runs where I had blisters in my thighs the next day and OUCH!

    Thanks for sharing your list with RTA!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).