Saturday, 1 March 2014

Book Club and Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Haystacks

Last night we had another book club meeting. Have I ever told you how much I enjoy my book club? I much prefer a quiet evening at home to a night out on the town, but I do really look forward to my book club every month. It’s so enjoyable to spend a relaxing Friday evening chatting about literature with a wonderful group of women and indulging in some yummy treats and a glass of wine.



This month we read Dancing on Broken Glass by Ka Hancock. While it was predictable I loved it. It’s beautifully written and the author really draws you in to the characters, the setting, and the story. I normally read for about half an hour before bed but I got so drawn in that I couldn’t put this down, staying on the couch all day on a Sunday to get it finished and ugly-crying through the last third of the book.

For our meeting this month I decided to make a gluten-free, dairy-free version of haystacks, starting with the original recipe I got many years ago from my dear friend Jen at Black Dog Blog.

Ingrediants:
½ cup Earth Balance butter-style spread (or you could use real butter)
½ cup So Good vanilla fake milk (or you could use real milk)
2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
4 – 4½ cups gluten free oats



First combine butter, milk, cocoa sugar, and cocoa powder in a pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil and simmer 3 – 5 minutes, stirring constantly.

Next remove the mixture from heat and stir in the oats, adding a little at a time.




What should have been the final step is when I was reminded that gluten-free dairy-free baking doesn’t always work as planned. When I would make these with real milk and butter I would drop spoonfuls on to parchment paper and let cool. Unfortunately my mixture wouldn’t stick together this time so I had to improvise. I pressed the mixture into a glass dish that I sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. 

Once the cookies had cooled I cut them into squares. They may not be formed like the originals but they taste just as delicious.

4 comments:

  1. Well, they look yummy to me! I have never joined a book club but it always sounds like such a neat adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! My husband always laughs at me when I cry through books! I too try to read a bit before bed, but sometimes the book is so good you just can't stop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum, this looks so good. I need to bake something. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummm!!
    I should definitely make these for my mother!!

    <3
    Harlynn
    mindyourmadness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).