Monday, 24 March 2014

Banned Books Bulletin Board

Before we even get into this post, let me clearly state my opinion: I do not support banning books. I support allowing people the freedom to choose and form their own educated opinions. I didn't put this up to tell students not to read books. I put it up to spark discussion and hopefully get them interested in reading some of the books on the list. Now that that's out of the way...

We don't have a library at our school so every couple weeks we take our students to the public library to check out or renew books. A few weeks ago they had a display of banned and challenged books, which totally captivated the students. 



When I took down our Valentine's Day bulletin board (which was too ugly to share) I decided to take a break from seasonal boards and make my own banned book board. The name is kind of misleading because these books haven't all been banned. Some have only been challenged.



I was also selective in what books I put up. The only ones on the board are books that myself or other staff members have read and could justify having on display in school. I also have pamphlets about these books around our common area that the library kindly gave me.



I think this is the most talked about bulletin board I've ever done. The students wanted to know all about certain books - what they're about, where they're banned, why they're banned, etc. What better way to get kids interested in reading something than to tell them they can't read it, right?

Shared at: Kathe With An E, Ginger Snap Crafts, Fluster Buster, A Creative Princess, A Conquered Mess, Life on Lakeshore Drive

5 comments:

  1. This is so clever, I really am enjoying all the positive actions in the schools lately

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure from the post if you are for or against banning books in public libraries. I did similar bulletin boards when I taught to teach my students the importance of protecting their right to choose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hate it when the banned book list is around so many are great books that many will miss
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our school librarian came around and did presentations for banned books week (in September). Here there is an entire process for a "challenged" book to become a "banned" book. And, while some of them are not "banned" by our state department of education, the state has decided to wipe out some of the more challenged ones to not upset any student's or parent's sensitivities (Huck Finn, To Kill a Mockingbird). (I taught To Kill a Mockingbird this year to my students, read it for English class myself when I was a freshman, and was appalled a few weeks ago when I went to a novel selection meeting for next school year to hear that the state took it off of the freshman curriculum because of sensitive subject matter). (I should also note that most of the books that my students have read...for pleasure...have ended up on the challenged book list.) Here for a book to even be challenged, the individual wanting it banned has to have read the book from cover to cover and has to swear an affidavit to that fact (an explain in detail with text citation why it should be banned). Then it has to be voted on by a few panels.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).