Friday, 21 March 2014

52 Week Organizing Challenge: Week 5 - Recipes

As I shared with you before, in an attempt to get back on track and to continue working on my resolution of “focus less on the stuff”, I decided to try the 52 Weeks To An Organized Home by Home Storage Solutions 101.


I asked my dear friend Jen from Black Dog Blog if she’d be onboard and she emphatically said yes. Together, we’re tackling our houses. 

These posts will be very photo-heavy and I apologize in advance for the poor photos. I didn't worry about lighting when taking the pictures for these posts.

Week 5: Recipes

It took me a while to figure out what to do with my recipes so I'm a little late posting this but I'm loving my new system for recipes and cook books.

I started by taking everything out of my cupboard and bringing it to the couch. I seem to work best when watching tv.


I then sorted all my recipes into five piles: recipes I've used, gluten-free and dairy-free information,recipes to try, magazines to go through, and garbage.


My recipes I've used were the easiest to deal with so I tackled those first. They go in an awesome recipe binder my mom bought me at Costco many years ago. I took the time to write recipes I plan to make again in the proper sections, which meant I could get rid of a lot of pieces of paper.


Next I compiled all my gluten-free and dairy-free information into a folder. Since giving up these items, I've accumulated a lot of information that needed a home.


On one side I've stored by foods to avoid sheets, substitution information, and baking tips. On the other side is the allergy information from restaurants where I've eaten. I either pick it up at the store or print it off and that way it's easy to check what I can and can't have when going out to eat.


Next I decided to take care of my stack of magazines, which are 96% the free magazines that Kraft mails out. Rather than trying to go through everything while I was working on organizing, I threw away a few I'd already gone through and put the rest in a pile on my kitchen table. The goal is to go through one a day, pulling out any recipes I want to try, and throwing away the rest.

That left me with just a giant pile of recipes I want to try to deal with. I have to give total credit for this system to the Organized Recipes To Try post from Samantha at Simply Organized.


First I sorted my recipes into categories. Then I made a folder for each category, which I labeled with washi tape and a marker.


Once my recipes were sorted and labeled, I put all the folders into a magazine holder and voila, an easy organizing system for recipes I plan on trying.


Once everything was sorted I put it back in the cupboard. I decided to use the weird space above the oven because it's not really good for much else.


Want to see my previous 52 Wee posts?

4 comments:

  1. I love how you organized your recipes. I started to organize mine several months ago but the system I tried isn't working for me. Perhaps I should try a new system.
    ~Bonnie @ Our Secondhand House

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Thanks for sharing!
    -Jennie
    http://thediaryofarealhousewife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos to you for attempting this mammoth task! Results look fantastic. I especially like the washi tape to jazz things up. Visiting via "FlusterBuster" linkup

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your post at the Say G'Day Saturday link up. I am very impressed by all of your organisational tips and ideas. Now I just need to action them! I pinned your post so I can try to get organised soon.

    Hope to see you again this weekend.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).