Sunday, 23 February 2014

Runners Tell All: My Running Story

Amanda from The Lady Okie and Becka from Sunshine to the Square Inch are hosting a link up with a different running topic every month. I don’t post about my running very often but I think this sounds awesome and so I’m joining in. This month the topic is How and Why You Started Running in 250 Words or Less.  
  
      
Here's my story

I always liked the thought of being a runner and started running so many times that I’ve lost track of them all. I started in high school, and university, and my twenties, and, most recently, in my thirties.  While I liked the thought of running, I was never willing to consistently put in the time and effort it required to truly become a runner, until this time. This time will be my last time starting, because I don’t plan on stopping ever again.

     
I started (again) in August 2013 and would do a 2 km loop by my house. The first time I walked almost all of it, running only from the first tree to the post. It was embarrassing but I didn’t give up. The next day I went to the second post. Then the second tree. Each time I pushed myself a little farther until I had expanded my loop and could comfortably run 5km at a very slow pace. After being able to consistently run 5km, I started increasing my speed and I now typically run it in just under half an hour.


Now I try (sometimes more successfully than others) to run at least 3 times a week, a minimum of 5km per time. I still feel strange calling myself a runner and I don’t feel that I look like a runner but I’m working to get over that. I run. That makes me a runner.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for linking up! I'm glad you call yourself a runner :) You ARE a runner! I think it's so important what you said about slowly building up. Just do a little bit more, and all of the sudden you're running a 5k!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Running is something I've never been able to get into, although I would have liked to. For several years, I would walk/jog two miles 3-4 times a week but I was never able to really build up stamina. Then I started to feel my IT muscle acting up and it only got aggravated more when I ran, so I just stopped. In September I suffered a meniscus tear from boot camp class and had the surgery last week. I've come to conclude I need to be a coach potato ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog! Great story, you are totally a runner! It took me ages to be able to call myself a runner and realise that there is actually no such thing as what a runner looks like, we come in all shapes and sizes and sometimes the ones you least expect will be the best runners!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are totally a runner! I've ran off and on for years too and even now when I get tired I find a 'landmark' and ask myself if I can just run to that spot. Then when I get to that spot I pick a new one. It's a big mind game. I'm glad you stuck with it this time. Running is great for so many reasons. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You linked up to a post about running - if that doesn't say RUNNER, I don't know what does :)

    I can totally relate though, I started running a couple years ago and it still feels weird to call myself that (even though I've been doing it regularly for 2 years now and I've ran I don't know how many races!)

    Keep it up, girl. You're doing wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).