Saturday, 25 January 2014

Who Needs Birthday Cake? Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Zucchini Banana Carob Muffins

It’s my birthday today. I’m the big 3-2. Exciting, right? Except I’m not feeling the excitement. J’s really sick (so sick he came home early from work for the first time in the 6 years we’ve been together) and I’m worn out so I’m spending the day relaxing at home and doing things I love but for which I rarely have time.

To start off the morning, I made myself some birthday muffins because, honestly, who wants to eat gluten-free dairy-free birthday cake? These are the best things I’ve made using gluten-free flour so far. It’s not even lunch time and I’ve already eaten two three.
            
      
This recipe started out using this one from Sweet Peas and Pumpkins (love the name!) but I’ve adapted it based on ingredients I had in my house. You could also sub regular flour (don’t forget to omit the guar gum) and regular milk if you don’t have food issues.


Ingredients:

Dry
  • 1 1/2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon guar gum
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup carob chips

Wet
  •  3/4 cup packed grated zucchini (mine was frozen so I thawed it and drained the water)
  • 3/4 cup mashed banana
  • 1/2 cup soy milk (I used vanilla flavoured)
  • 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil


Step 1: Preheat oven to 400.

      
Step 2: In a large bowl, stir together the dry ingredients.

      
Step 3: In a medium bowl, whisk together the following wet ingredients.

     
Step 4: Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients, stirring only until mixed.

      
Step 5: Place mixture in muffin tins. I use paper liners because it makes clean up easier but my muffins did stick to the paper. Bake about 20 minutes (until toothpick comes out clean).

2 comments:

  1. These muffins look delish! Can't wait to try the recipe!
    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I have to make these for sure. Thanks for the recipe and Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).