Friday, 31 January 2014

Round Beaded Necklace

One of my favourite types of projects is making jewelry. I love how I can make something fairly quickly and cheaply that adds so much to an outfit, especially given that most of my clothing is black or grey.

       
When I started making this necklace I had an idea of what it would look like but it took several twists and turns before becoming something I was excited to wear.

     
To start, I gathered my supplies. In this picture is what I expected to use but I actually used the following:
  • 2 pieces of silver chain (equal length)
  • 1 lobster clasp
  • 2 jump rings
  • 3 coloured beads
  • 2 headpins
  • 3 pieces of black beaded chain (the longest should be the same length as the other two pieces and the 2 smaller beads on their headpin   
        
     
I started by attaching my clasp to the silver chain using jump rings. Next I put my two coloured beads on a head pin and made a loop on both ends.

      
Then I used the loops on the black beaded segments to attach them to the silver chain and the coloured beads.

      
I thought I was done at this point but when I put it on the coloured beads were too heavy and kept turning the necklace.


Next I thought maybe I’d add another bead dangling off the middle to help weigh it down. Unfortunately, it wasn’t heavy enough and it looked odd.


I decided to rearrange my coloured beads. I paired up the two smaller coloured beads and put them where I had originally place the coloured beads. I then put the red bead, which was the heaviest, in the middle to help anchor the necklace.


     
It took a while but I finally ended up with a necklace I liked and that stayed it place. I wore it with a typically work outfit – dark grey pants, back shirt, light grey sweater – and loved the pop of colour it added.

Shared at: Serenity You, Life on Lakeshore Drive, A Peek Into My Paradise, Home Coming, A Stroll Thru Life, Kathe With An E, The Crafty Blog Stalker, Sugar Bee Crafts, Natasha in Oz

3 comments:

  1. Oh I love it, such a pretty necklace and I really love the colors. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! It's so cute and simple - just the way I like my jewelry.

    Thanks so much for sharing on Turn It Up Tuesday! We love having you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking to Create Link Inspire at The Crafty Blog Stalker. You have been featured and pinned! Thank you for sharing.
    –Katie, TheCraftyBlogStalker.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).