Sunday, 15 December 2013

Abstract Artwork for the Bedroom

Remember the master bedroom overhaul I shared with you here and here? It’s been on hold for a while, partially because I’m dreading finishing the curtains (but that’s a post for another day) and partially because there has been a lot going on at school.  Anyway, I decided this weekend to get back at it and make a painting to go across from the bed.     


     
I decided to go for something abstract and gained inspiration from paintings such as this one and this one and this one. Please keep in mind I’m not an artist, although I do enjoy trying to create pieces for my house.   
    
    
First I gathered my supplies:
Canvas
Paint brushes
Pallet
Paint
Water   
   
Next I started painting. I went for slightly messy edges and made sure each colour was dry before adding the next, as I didn’t want the paint smearing together.  
   
Colour 1: dark brown

Colour 2: beige

Colour 3: light beige (colour 2 mixed with white)


     
Colour 4: yellow

Colour 5: light blue (left over from the walls)



Colour 6: burgundy (to cover the yellow)



Colour 7: white (to cover the burgundy, which just turned it pink)

Colour 8: navy



At this point I thought I was done, but didn’t like it and couldn’t put my figure on why. I texted a picture to my dear friend Linda (who helped me make amazing apple jelly) and she said it was the pink. She then suggested I try yellow. After laughing over the fact that I already had, we settled on silver.  
    
Colour 9: silver softened with a little white (to cover the yellow, burgundy, pink mess)
   
Once the entire painting was dry I added a tiny bit of white paint to a glass of water so it had a very faint colour, and then roughly brushed around some edges to soften things up.

      
Honestly I’m not sure if I like it. It’s not what I’d pictured and that’s throwing me off. However, it’s better than an empty wall so I’m going to leave it up for a while and see if it grows on me. If not, I can always repaint it.



Shared at: C.R.A.F.T., Kathe With An E, A Stroll Through Life, The Crafty Blog Stalker, Sugar Bee Crafts, Fluster Buster, Clean and Scentsible, Ginger Snap Crafts, Diana Rambles, Snippets of Inspiration, The Happy Housie

5 comments:

  1. I actually really like it! It is very abstract, and I'm a fan. Great job! I love doing creative stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's beautiful. You may be having trouble bonding to it because you know all the little frustrations you had with the red, pink, yellow, silver color problem. And we are alway our harshest critics. I think you did a great job! I have a little canvas obsession right now and totally want to paint something for my bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful art, great job. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice painting! I liked the yellow (2nd fav color) lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).