Friday, 22 November 2013

Simple Envelope Pillow

While I had my sewing machine out last weekend, I decided to use some of the fabric that inspired the room (and that I used for Benson’s dog bed) to make an envelope pillow. I realize it may seem strange to have such a small amount of the fabric that ties it all together but I’m pleased with how it’s working so far.   

     
Step 1: Cut your fabric. My pillow is 20 x 20 so I cut one piece 21 x 21, and two pieces 21 x  14. I like the pillow case to be full, which is why I cut it so close to size.

    
Step 2: On the two rectangular pieces, fold one long edge over about a quarter inch, and then fold it over about a quarter inch again. Iron well.

     
Step 3: Sew down the fabric that you just folded over.

    
Step 4: Place both rectangular pieces on top of the square piece, right sides together, with the pre-sewn seams overlapping.

       
Step 5: Sew around all four edges using a quarter inch seam allowance.

    
Such a simple pillow and yet it adds so much, although it looks a little lonely. Now I just have to find some more fabric to make a couple more.



Shared at: A Conquered Mess, Life on Lakeshore Drive, C.R.A.F.T., Kathe With An E, Sugar Bee Crafts, Fluster Buster, Clean & Scentsible, Ginger Snap Crafts, A Creative Princess, The Crafty Blog Stalker, Our Secondhand House

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful pillow and great tutorial! I'd love if you'd link up to The DIY'ers. http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-diyers-39.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun fabric! This makes me want to re-do my couch pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to pin this! I am planning on recovering some of my couch pillows! It is much easier to wash a pillow cover then a whole pillow! I have too many BOYS in my house! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to pin this! I am planning on recovering some of my couch pillows! It is much easier to wash a pillow cover then a whole pillow! I have too many BOYS in my house! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute and thanks for the tutorial! What great fabric you chose for you pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is how I make my pillow covers too. I actually have a similar post scheduled for tomorrow. Thanks for linking up at the Stitch It, Blog It, Share It Link Party!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).