Thursday, 21 November 2013

Quinoa With Veggies: Caffeine-Free, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Eating Days 5 - 14

Well, I survived. It hasn't been easy but I've been caffeine-free, gluten-free, and dairy-free for 2 long weeks. I had planned on giving you a breakdown of my meals like I did for days 1 - 4 but I got lazy about writing them down. Instead you get a delicious recipe and a list of foods that have become staples for me.

I had never cooked with quinoa before but I'm in love with this dish. It's a variation of a recipe I got from a friend and I have no idea where it originated.



Quinoa with Veggies

Step 1: Cook quinoa based on package instructions. For mine I used 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water. Remove from heat and cool.



Step 2: Chop 1/4 cup each of different kinds of veggies. I used green onion, yellow pepper, tomato (with the seeds scooped out), cucumber (also with the seeds scooped out), and frozen corn.

Step 3: Stir together quinoa and veggies.



Step 4: Stir in 1/8 cup of olive oil.

This is seriously delicious, very filling, and keeps in the fridge for a couple days. 

Besides quinoa with veggies, there are some other items that have become staples for me. 



I take my breakfast and lunch to school every day (except weekends) and tend to eat bits and pieces when I have time, instead of eating fixed large meals. Breakfasts, lunches, and school snacks are usually a combination of the following:

  • boiled /scrambled eggs
  • gf/df english muffins
  • gf/df bread
  • peanut butter
  • Chex
  • soy milk
  • fruit
  • veggies


Supper is the meal J and I eat together so it tends to be a more substantial meal. It has also been the most difficult. We've had to throw away several meals that turned out to be inedible over the past two weeks. Our favourites so far include the following, always served with lots of veggies:

  • gf/df pasta and sauce
  • gf/df nachos with veggies and gf/df cheese
  • chicken (plain, with spices, or in panko crumbs) with potatoes or quinoa with veggies

Also, I'm not one to waste food but there are a few things I've bought that are so gross they got thrown out. In the future I'll be avoiding the following:


  • Tortillas (I thew them away without writing the brand but you can see them in the picture in this post.)
  • Kinnikinnik bagels (but love their english muffins)


The good news is this has worked and something I've eliminated was the cause of my sickness. It has been hard but definitely worth it. For the next two weeks I'll be adding dairy back in and crossing my fingers that I continue to feel healthy. I really hope it's not dairy!

Shared at: The Thriftiness Miss, Meeghan Makes, A Conquered Mess, Life on Lakeshore Drive, C.R.A.F.T., Kathe With An E, Ginger Snap Crafts, Clean & Scentsible, Fluster Buster, A Creative Princess, The Crafty Blog Stalker

1 comment:

  1. I hope it's not dairy too! There's so much that we eat that has dairy we do t even realize it...milk, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese...not to mention ice cream!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).