Monday, 18 November 2013

Dog Bed with Zipper

I love my dogs but really hate having dog beds all over my house. Ok, that may be an exaggeration; they’re not all over but we have two in the living room and two in the bedroom. As part of our bedroom overhaul I decided to make Benson a new bed that would tie some of the colours together and also fit better in the space.

     
To start, I took a spare brown pillow sham that matched the duvet and cut it in half. This is what I used for the bottom of the bed. I then used the brown fabric as a guide to cut out my patterned fabric. This fabric was the starting point for the entire room and I love it.

     
Next I put in my hidden zipper. I used the same method show in the video on my zippered pillow post, which is a fantastic video. In case you’re not a fan of videos, here are the step by step instructions, with the pictures above the steps.

     
Step 1: Sew both sides of the pieces of fabric (placed right sides together).

     
Step 2: Separate the two fabrics and iron the creases down.

       
Step 3: Sew along the edge of both fabrics. This will be the flap that covers your zipper.

    
Step 4: Pin the zipper in place and sew both ends.

      
Step 5: Sew the zipper into place. I lift the foot of my sewing machine to help it ease over the zipper pull.

Once my zipper was in place I folded my fabric again so the right sides were together, pinned it into place, and sewed the other three sides.

     
Pretty easy so far, right? Well, next up is when it all went wrong. I wanted to created boxed corners so the bed would have a square shape. I could not seem to get them right. I don’t know why. I’ve done them before. I was just having some bizarre mental block. After sending some time bonding with my seam-ripper and a phone call with mama, I finally got them right.

Last but not least, I turned the pillow case right side out and started stuffing it. I actually bought a couple cheap pillows at Walmart and cut them open to use for stuffing, which was the cheapest way I could find.

    
I wasn’t sure if it was full enough so I put it on the floor to see. Given that Benson came running over and climbed on it, I think he likes it.


I then put it in place in the bedroom and it looks fantastic. It’s a much better shape for the space and I love the colours in the fabric. I think Benson likes it too and even Raven came to give it a try.



Shared at: A Stroll Through Life, Clean & Scentsible, Fluster Buster, Ginger Snap Crafts, The Crafty Blog Stalker, The Thriftiness Miss, Meegan Makes, A Conquered Mess, Life on Lakeshore Drive, C.R.A.F.T., Kathe With An E, Sugar Bee Crafts

1 comment:

  1. What a fabulous idea and great tutorial too. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).