Monday, 26 August 2013

Weight Loss and Exercise Visuals


First I have to say a huge thank you! Just this weekend I reached 50 000 views on my little piece of blogosphere. It absolutely amazes me that Polka Dots and Paisley has been visited so many times. I started this blog because I wanted to write and thought it would be fun to share some ideas but had no idea the support and friendship I would find from people I've never actually met. Thank you to all of you for taking this journey with me, and I look forward to the next 50 000.

Now, on to the real reason you're here...

I have to be honest; I dislike exercise and I love to eat but hate cooking (although I think baking is swell). This led me to be larger than I ever thought I would be, to a point where I really was uncomfortable in my own skin. Last fall I decided enough was enough and joined WW. My goal was to lose 20 pounds this year (and to continue that yearly goal until I reach my ultimate healthy weight) and I achieved it with just weeks to spare. I realize this may not seem like much but I’ve made and am continuing to make changes that I can maintain for the rest of my life.

    
With that said, I’ve been feeling a little discouraged lately. I’m a visual person so I knew I needed some sort of image to help keep me motivated. I was using my pounds to goal button jar but it kept getting knocked over, buttons went missing, and I eventually put it away. I decided to revive the idea but to make it much more aesthetically pleasing. I bought some jars and decorative stones at a dollar store and sorted them into “lost” and “to lose” jars.


To make the labels I simply cut out white paper strips, stamped the words on them and inked the edges, then used glue to attach the labels to the jars.


When picking up the supplies for the weight loss jars, I also bought two more jars and some popsicle sticks to make exercise jars. I wrote different simple exercises (think commercial break, no special clothes required) on the popsicle sticks. Every day I’ll take one stick from the “to do” jar, complete the activity, and place it in the “done” jar.



Hopefully these jars will provide the visual I need to help keep me motivated and I’ll reach my goal. I’m toying with the idea of doing a semi-regular weight loss post (maybe once a month) as another way to stay motivated and accountable but I’m not sure.  I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.



The Crafty Blog Stalker

Glitter, Glue & Paint

Serenity you

Shared at: Kathe With an E, Sugar Bee Crafts, Fluster Buster, Clean & Scentsible, Ginger Snap Crafts, A Creative Princess, The Crafty Blog Stalker, Artsy-Fartsy Mama, The Thriftiness Miss, What Meegan Wants, Serenity You, Life on Lakeshore Drive, Lines Across, Glitter, Glue and Paint

18 comments:

  1. Great ideas! I'm a visual person too. Good luck with your weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these ideas! I need to try the jar to help motivate me to move those pounds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Maybe I need to do this for motivation. lol. I hate exercising too, but I love to eat and cook and bake, so...really bad combo. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job finding ways to motivate yourself. I used counters for when my husband was away with the army for 8 months. It definitely helped for me to have a visual of where we were. Great post and keep up the great work. It's always worth it in the end. Thanks for sharing! Stop by my Friday's Five Features and link up this post (and others)! http://diy-vintage-chic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It helps to have reminders that you can see to keep you on track. Stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Allison, I don't know what I'm impressed with more. Your great idea or the fact that you lost 20 pounds last year, with time to spare. It is very different, and much harder, loosing weight when you are making changes to your lifestyle to last a life time than when you are just making them temporarily. Great job.

    I too am a visual person, so I really like your jars.

    Keep up the great work.

    Ricki

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonder-full idea! Following you on Facebook, found you through Crafty Stalker Link Up

    Looking forward to more posts!

    Angela
    xo
    Dream Beautiful Blog
    http://www.angelamaycompany.com/?p=401

    Come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea....I'm going to make some of my own jars. I only need to lose about 20 more pounds...I've lost 18 pounds so far.
    I love to bake, too.....but more than that, I love to eat!
    Bring on the weight loss posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so visual too - this is a great idea! Pinned. If you have time, I'd love it if you would line this to Family Fun Friday - we have over 100 bloggers and 600 readers every week. :-) Thanks so much - I need to try this method of getting motivated.
    Monica

    http://happyandblessedhome.com/category/family-fun/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am like you I hate exercise.. I am allergic to it. I turn red, diaphoretic and short of breath.. and I love to eat, to cook and bake and by my size you can tell that. I need to get motivated to lose weight and maybe this will help.. Thanks for sharing this on Fluster Buster Creative Muster.
    Marlys @ This and That

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these ideas! It's so nice to have some visual reminders! Thanks for sharing these at Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on making the commitment to become healthier! I know what this feels like. I would greatly appreciate it if you could share my weightloss surgery/journey with anyone you know who is investigating the surgery or who has had the surgery and not happy with the results. http://staceylehn.blogspot.com/2013/08/life-after-weight-loss-surgery.html

    Thanks a bunch & good luck on your journey...YOU ARE WORTH IT!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a neat way of keeping up with it. Great Idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome, good luck with this!
    I will pass this on to others.
    Stopping by from Serenity You!

    Wendy @ effiegirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks a lot for the ideas! Motivating yourself to shape your body is very important. Taking up supplements can also be useful on this matter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on your weight loss! And I love the visual way to keep up with it all. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like your post. This post really awesome and very helpful to me. Please keep posting good contents. Thank


    .... how to lose weight drinking water

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).