Friday, 23 August 2013

Sour Cherry Jam

In my last post I directed you to Kathe With an E to check out the delicious apple jelly I made with a friend. The day after getting home from visiting that friend I went to run a few errands and decided to stop at the farmer's market on the way home, where I saw some beautiful sour cherries. To make a long story short, I brought a pail home with me. I wasn't sure what to do with them but decided to make some jam.



In order to make the jam, I used the recipe from the Certo pack and modified it a little bit. No, this isn't a sponsored post. 

I think the most important thing with making jam is to have everything prepared before you put anything on the stove. I make sure everything is measured out, cut open, in place, and ready to go before I put my ingredients onto the heat. Find a system that works for you. I have a decent sized kitchen but I like everything close so I cram it on the smallest part of my counter. Below is my set-up.




In my excitement over finding lovely sour cherries, I neglected to think about pitting them. It took 6 episodes of Numbers (thank goodness for Netflix, diet coke, and summer holidays) but I finally got them all clean, pitted, chopped, and ready to make jam.




Stir together 4 cups prepared cherries, 7 cups of sugar, and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in a large pot. Bring to a rolling boil for 1 minute.



Remove from heat and stir in 2 packages of liquid Certo. Stir and skim (not over heat) for 5 minutes.

Pour into jars, screw on lids, and wait for the "ping" which means the jar sealed.



It was painful pitting all those cherries but this is honestly my favourite jam I've ever made. It's sweet but not sickly and a little tart but not sour. I'll definitely make it again but next time I'll be buying a pitter before I start.



I made two batches and ended up with 16 jars of Sour Cherry Jam: 4 x 500 ml, 10 x 250 ml, and 2 x 125 ml. Also included in the picture is a batch and a half of blueberry jam I made while I was in a jam-making mood. Yum.

Shared at: Diana Rambles, Serenity You, Beauty In The Mess, Life on Lakeshore Drive, Lines Across, Kathe With An E, Sugar Bee Crafts, Fluster Buster, Clean & Scentsible, Ginger Snap Crafts, A Creative Princess, The Crafty Blog Stalker, For You With Love

6 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious! I love making jam and it's been YEARS since I've done it. You've got me wanting to give it another go!

    Thanks so much for stopping by my online home this morning. Happy to find you and connect!

    ~ Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this looks so awesome. The only time I ever canned anything was when I had a whole lot of green tomatoes thanks to an early frost. I spent 5 hours on it and wound up with 4 jars of green tomato salsa that never got eaten... sigh.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow your jam looks absolutely delicious! This stuff wouldn't last long at my house! I'm currently hosting an awesome spice giveaway along with a "preserving the summer" recipe link party and I'd love for you to stop by and share this great recipe!

    http://www.4you-withlove.com/2013/08/party-thyme-preserving-summer-link.html

    Have a fabulous day!

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gonna definitely think of making this when the summer time weather rolls back around. Always interested in making stuff at home.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).