Saturday, 3 August 2013

Colourful Subway Tile / Brick Wall Painted Art


I’ve been meaning to redo the artwork in my living room for a long time. I made Rothko Inspired Art that I intended to put over the end tables on either side of our wedding photos. I hung them on the same side to take photos, decided they were too small, and left them there for a long time. I was shopping the other day and found some really cheap canvas and decided it was time to stop thinking about it and make some new art. For the side closer to the window I gained inspiration from Baby Lifestyles.


Supplies needed:
Canvas
Paint
Sponge brushes
Paint pallet (or tinfoil, or somewhere to spread out paint)
Thick masking or painters tape
Thin masking or painters tape


First I taped my horizontal lines. I used a piece of thick tape as a guide and put the thin tape in place, pressing it down very well to avoid bleeding.


Next I did the same for my vertical lines but staggered the placement in order to achieve the subway tile / brick wall look. Once all the tape was in place, I flipped the canvas over and rubbed really hard to seal the lines.



Then I started painting. There was no system to which colours I placed in each square; I just went with what seemed like a good idea. A little trick to avoid bleeding is to paint starting on the tape and work towards the middle (follow the arrows). Once all the surface is covered, go over it in one direction to make the paint lines pretty.


I continued painting until all the squares were filled in. I showed it to J at this point and he was skeptical, which made me wonder if my vision was going to work out.



I let the paint partly dry and then slowly removed the tape, being careful not to smudge the paint. As soon as I started peeling the tape away, I got excited. It turned out even better than I expected.



It’s now hung on the wall and is a huge improvement over the too small Rothko inspired art. Because my vision for the living room called for two pieces, I couldn’t stop at just one. Check back to see the coordinating picture (same colours, different pattern) hung over the other end table. 

*Update: Click here to see the matching Graduated Circle Art.



On an unrelated note, I made some fun new necklaces. You can check them out in my etsy shop and in a couple weeks I'll post a tutorial in case you want to make your own.


Serenity you


Shared at: Snippets of Inspiration, Serenity You, Life on Lakeshore Drive, Lines Across, A Creative Princess, Sew Much Crafting, Artsy-Fartsy Mama, The Thriftiness Miss, Diana Rambles, The Crafty Blog Stalker, Sugar Bee Crafts, Clean & Scentsible

6 comments:

  1. I like it! It is so nice and simple but adds a fun pop of color to the room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the very useful info here. Found you through G+ for August and adding you.
    Laura, http://camillaandroman.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. So stinkin cute!!! I'm definitely going to do this for my baby's room ! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I saw this over at the linky party, I thought you were using paint samples, This is way cooler! I love how it turned out!

    XO,
    CorinnaAshley.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it. I have a huge blank wall that needs some art!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this 'brick laying' technique! Thank you for the tutorial! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).