Thursday, 15 August 2013

Colourful Graduated Polka Dot Painted Art


In a post a couple weeks ago I showed you my Subway Tile / Brick Wall Artwork that I made to replace my Rothko Inspired Art and gave you a little tease about the other piece I made to go with it. Well, you don’t have to wait any more. My other new piece is this graduated polka dot painting, which was inspired by the Confetti Art at Andrea+Chris+OurChaos.

    
Supplies needed:
Canvas
Paint
Sponge brushes
Bristle brushes
Circle stamper (I used a pill container)
Paint pallet or tin foil


For each dot I used a foam brush to cover the top of the pill container. I tried many different circles but found this to be a nice smooth surface and the perfect size. I then pushed the cover onto the canvas, making sure to roll it around to get the edges. Next I used a bristle brush to fill in any gaps in the circle and smooth over the paint.


I started by making circles using several colours and then left the painting for a while. 


Once the circles were dry, I added the rest of the colours, being sure to only overlap on dry circles, then left it to dry again. At that point I thought I was done. 


The more I looked at it, the more I felt like the full side needed a few more dots so  I reluctantly added some more. To be honest I was terrified that I was going to mess it up. However after adding a bit more it looked finished so I stopped. I also decided I wanted it to face the other way so I turned it upside down.


Now it’s hung over the end table, with my wedding pictures and the corresponding picture on the same wall. Sorry that they're not perfectly straight. Not to toot my own horn but I love it! I feel like my living room is one step closer to complete.

12 comments:

  1. Wow, I love this!! You did a fabulous job. Thank you so much for joining us at the blog hop. So excited to follow your blog. Have a wonderful weekend. :)

    Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so pretty! I love the one on the opposite side of the sofa too.

    Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is cool! Love it! Hopping from Diana's pin me link up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Btw, can I use your design as template for my PowerPoint presentations? I'm a training officer in a cardiac hospital and I'm making a lot of lecture presentations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute...I like the geometric designs of your wall art!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I really like that idea it adds a great feel to your room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute! I love the colors! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colors of your project. You have inspired me to find my inner polka dot!
    We are hosting a Friday Frenzy party at www.obsessiveandcreative.blogspot.com and would love for you to join the fun. We post at 6am every Friday. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing with us! Just pinned! So happy to feature you at Pick of the Bunch this week. Love your blog. :)

    Hope you are having a great weekend.
    Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the dots! Such a fun piece. You brought together the colors of your living room perfectly. Stopping by from Throwback Thursday and pinning. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).