Sunday, 14 July 2013

Mama's Bacon and Egg Salad

For our year end staff party I signed up to bring a salad. Yes, I realize school ended weeks ago but it took me a while to post this. Anyway, the other person on salad was bringing one that was mainly beans so I made this leafy one that my mama used to make. 



Dressing:
1/2 c. olive oil 
1/2 c. white sugar 
4 tbsp. white vinegar 
6 tbsp. ketchup

Combine all the ingredients in a mason jar. Put the lid on, shake well, and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Feel free to cut the recipe in half if you're making a smaller salad.



Salad:
4 heads of romaine lettuce, cleaned and cut
6 strips of turkey bacon, cooked, cooled, and chopped 
3 eggs, hardboiled, cooled, and chopped 
1/2 cup(ish) Canton noodles (or any fried noodles), broken into pieces



On a funny note, I made the dressing the night before the party and went after school to pick up the things I needed for the salad. I remembered turkey bacon, noodles, and eggs but came home to discover I forgot the lettuce. Yep, bought everything I needed for the salad except the main ingredient.

Anyway, back to the recipe. I took the dressing with me in the mason jar and put it on the salad right before we started eating. If you put it one too early it goes soggy.



I know the ingredients sound like a pretty disgusting combination but I promise you it's quite delicious. By the end of the party the bowl was empty and I'd been asked for the recipe which, in my opinion, is a sign of success.

Shared at: Lines Across, Kathe With an E, Hickory Trail, Sugar Bee Crafts, Ginger Snap Crafts, Fluster Buster, Clean & Scentsible, Someday Crafts, A Creative Princess, Sew Much Crafting, Artsy-Fartsy Mama, Diana Rambles, Snippits of Inspiration

4 comments:

  1. Looks pretty good to me! Although I do think the ingredient list was fine until I saw ketchup. LOL. It just seemed weird. That being said, though, I've been very surprised before so am making this for tonight and I think we will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great thing for summer. When you don't want all of those heavy foods because of the heat.

    Heidi’s Wanderings

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really sounds delicious! I'll do my grocery shopping on Friday, and I'm definitely going to make sure I have the ingredients to try this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a refreshing salad recipe for the hot days we've been having lately!!!!! I love the simplicity of the dressing and the addition of ketchup will make my 5 yo put it on everything! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).