Tuesday, 2 July 2013

June Space: My Closet


It’s time to check in on my New Year’s Resolution. Remember how I left you hanging with which space I would work on for June? Well I decided on my closet. I realize this isn’t actually a room but I had several reasons for choosing it this month. First, I needed something small and manageable because June is always crazy. Second, I wanted to take everything out so I could paint it and have J work in the attic. Third, I have way too many clothes that don’t fit right and that I don’t wear, and I needed to get rid of them.


The right side of my closet:
In the back there are t-shirts, gym clothes, and pyjamas on the shelves.
Hung up are hoodies, dresses and skirts.
On the floor is a bin of purses and my laundry basket.

Step 1: Purge  and Organize

To start, I took everything out of the closet and piled it in my office/craft room. It was a little chaotic for a couple days. While it was out I painted the closet white. Then I started going through everything. Seriously. Everything! I literally tried on every single item before deciding whether to keep it, donate it, or throw it out. This took a while and was hard at times (there were some things I knew were way too big but I still didn’t want to give up) but totally worth it. I have a lot less clothes in my closet but now it’s all stuff I’ll actually wear.

During the purge, with some of my clothes in the office / craft room.

In the spirit of keeping it real, I am still not finished going through my socks, tank tops and underwear. I have way too much! I put it all in tubs in my office and pick from there when I need something. When I take an item off, it either goes in the laundry basket to wash and put in the drawer, the donate laundry basket to wash and then give away, or the garbage.  By doing this, when I eventually empty each tub I know everything that has made it back into the drawer is good.

The top of my closet:
Tubs hold things I don't commonly use: camping clothes,
painting clothes, thermals, swimsuits, etc.

Step 2: Insurance Documentation

This was an easy area to document. Nothing in my closet has serial numbers so it was just a matter of taking pictures and printing them for the binder.

The left side of my closet:
The top rack holds sweater, shirts, and tank tops.
The bottom rack holds pants and capris.
The mesh drawers are bras, underwear, socks, and camis.
On the shelves are pullover sweaters, hair stuff, and make up.

Step 3: Taking Stock of What’s Still Needed

I went through several lists online of wardrobe basics but none of them really worked for me. Instead, I looked at what types of clothing I wear (teaching, running around, being lazy) and what items I need to have a well-stocked closet. As I'm sure you've noticed, I'm not a big fan of colour so matching isn't really a concern. I put it in my phone so it’s always with me when I’m shopping. Just so you know, I don't plan on buying this all at once. I just want a list so that, as I find good sales, I can be sure I'm making wise purchases.


What’s next?

The plan for July is the yard. I have some projects I want to do outside the house so hopefully this will motivate me to get them done. It’ll also give me a nice excuse to spend some time outside, enjoying the nice weather and fresh air. 

Shared at: Hickory Trail, Clean & Scentsible, Fluster Buster, Ginger Snap Crafts

1 comment:

  1. I need to do some organization myself! Thank you for sharing at Hickory Trail. You did a wonderful Job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).