Friday, 10 May 2013

Painted Vases and Paper Lollies


It’s Education Week and to celebrate we had a drop-in tea at school for family, friends, and community members. I was given the task of coming up with centerpieces (on a very small budget) so I decided to make some painted vases with paper lollies.



The first thing I did was collect my vases. I had quite a few at home and bought a couple more at the dollar store and Michaels. I also used a couple old salt and pepper shakers I had lying around. The plan was to group them so I chose colours that blended well.



Next, I painted my vases. I poured acrylic paint in and slowly swirled it around, working my way to the top. 



I then rigged up some styrofoam cups to hold my vases upside down to drain out the excess paint and dry. Once they had stopped dripping I moved them onto tinfoil spread out on a cookie sheet and left them overnight. The next day I turned them right-side up and left them to dry for another day.



I love how they turned out and would have been happy leaving them as they were. However, I wanted something the students had helped make. Monday and Tuesday some of the students spent some time making paper lollies. We used the instructions from The Happy Scraps. Sorry but I didn’t take any photos of the process.



Once the lollies were done we glued them onto skewers and placed them in the vases. I put some floral foam in the bottom of the wide vases to make the skewers stand up and then covered it with some shredded paper.


I'm wasn't able to get any pictures of the centrepieces at the tea but picture them grouped on six different tables, with pale yellow tablecloths. They looked great! 

Shared at: Diana Rambles, Natasha In Oz, Lines Across, Kathe with an E, Sugar Bee Crafts, Fluster Buster, Clean and Scentsible, Hickory Trail, Ginger Snap Crafts, A Creative Princess, Artsy Fartsy Mama, DesignDreams by Anne, Glitter, Glue, and Paint

17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. How wonderful to see that you stopped by to say G'day to Allison Donna! G'day from me too!

      Best wishes,
      Natasha in Oz

      Delete
  2. Such bright happy colors!
    Toodles,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colors. Saying hi from Say G'Day.
    Lucy @coffeewithus3.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so great to see you here Lucy! G'day from me too.

      Best wishes,
      Natasha in Oz

      Delete
  4. SO fun!! I'd love for you to come share it at the link party I am cohosting right now!
    http://thefirstyearblog.com/2013/05/12/link-party-with-titi-crafty/

    Beth @ The First Year Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea you could paint vases with acrylic paint! They looks great! Thank you for linking up to Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so beautiful!

    Zina (http://efzin-creations.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! I want to paint some vases now! Thanks for the tip on using Styrofoam cups for drying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovin all the bright colors! So cute and creative! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing your tutorial at the Say G'Day Saturday linky party. I love the way you pained those vases! I have pinned this post and tweeted about it too.

    Best wishes and hope you can join in again this weekend.
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll have to try this, I have a stash of vases that could use a makeover. Thank you for linking this up on Fluster's Creative Muster Party!

    Robin
    Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your comment on my Newspaper Bangles post! Just have to tell you I love these vases! So colorful and happy looking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for linking up at Assets and Efforts on HickoryTrail

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea! Love the collection of different colored bottles! Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very, very cute! I've been thinking about different ideas for my coworkers for a little Valentine's Day cheeriness and I think this would be just perfect! What a lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).