Monday, 22 April 2013

Yellow Bow (And My Poor Dog)


I have started to write the post many times but can’t seem to find the way to get it out. I’m still very emotional about this so please be kind. I’ve separated this post into two sections: background and tutorial. If you don’t want to read it or if you’re squeamish please skip the background and head on down to the tutorial.


Background:

Our big dog Raven is injured. Thursday we noticed Raven wasn’t herself, walking slightly slower than normal and not eating. I decided to give her a brush (she has a lot of hair) and see if I could find anything wrong. I found a large cut on her back and thought maybe she got into some barbed wire, which is in the field across the road. I cleaned it up as best as I could and left a message with the vet that she needed to go in the next day.

She spent all of Friday at the vet, and it turned out to be much more serious then we thought. The vet called and said her fur had hidden a severe bite. She needed over a dozen stitches in two locations, a drainage tube, and medication. It has only been a few days but she’s already doing much better, and she hopefully gets the tube out on Wednesday.

Not a great picture but one I snapped a couple days before the incident.
Raven is our big girl and Benson is our blurry little boy.

Looking back, we know exactly when it happened. On Wednesday she and J were out for a run and another dog lunged at her, knocking it’s owner off her feet and onto the road. Raven snarled at the other dog and it backed off, which we thought was the end of it. J and the other owner didn’t even realize the dogs had made contact, let alone that so much damage had been done. To be honest, when he told me what had happened, I was more concerned about the other dog’s owner. I have talked to the owner of the other dog since Raven came home from the vet. I want to be clear that I don’t blame her or have any bad feelings towards her.

When we first got Raven, she was leash reactive. We worked very hard to fix the problem and finally got her to the point where she was able to walk anywhere on a leash and not react to other dogs or her surroundings. I fear that she will revert due to this incident. That, coupled with the extent of her injuries and the long recovery period, will require her to have some extra space once she starts walking outside again. Because of that, I made this bow. In case you aren’t aware, a yellow bow or ribbon on a dog’s collar or leash is a sign that the dog needs space. It could be because they are unfriendly or reactive, that they have injuries, that they are sick, etc. You can read more about it at The Yellow Dog Project.


Tutorial:

Now that you know the why, let’s move on to the how. I used these instructions from Simply Homemade. 

Step 1:  Cut two pieces of fabric. The larger one was about 7 x 10 and the smaller was about 1 x 2. I wasn’t precise in my measurements.


Step 2: Fold the larger piece right sides together, pin, and sew.

Step 3: Turn it right side out and iron it so the seam is in the middle.


Step 4: Fold the two unfinished ends together, pin, and sew.


Step 5: Turn the fabric so the seam is on the inside in the middle and iron. Lay it to the side.


Step 6: Follow steps 2 to 5 with the smaller piece of fabric.

Step 7: Work the larger piece through the smaller loop, making it fold in the proper places.


Step 8: Use a needle and thread to put a couple stitches in the back, to hold it all in place.


Step 9: Please safety pin in place. You could also slide it on a headband, attach a hairclip, or whatever. Use your imagination.


As you can see in the picture I’ve attached it to Raven’s leash. That way we’re all ready once we’re given the ok to start going for walks again. She wasn't impressed yesterday when Benson got a walk and she had to stay home, so I take that as a good sign that she's healing.



5 comments:

  1. I love her cute yellow bow and I hope she is feeling better soon Al! Thankfully you got her to the Vet before it turned into a huge infection! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allison, thank you so much for visiting me over at Sarah SaturDIY. I'm glad to hear that Raven is doing a bit better and I hope she has a speedy recovery. I had never heard of the yellow bow thing before, but it's good to know. We have two pugs - both of which are better with other dogs, but I fear that the older one, Roscoe, may have issues with other dogs in the future. He has arthritis in his back legs and is a bit of a pushover, so a bit of personal space might be a good thing. I'm now following your blog and I can't wait to see what other dog-related crafts you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh poor dog! Hope she's back to walks by now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea about the yellow bow thing! Very glad to know...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. It's a good thing you found she was injured when you did. Thank you for linking up at the #StitchItBlogItShareIt Link Party. I hope you'll join us again every Sunday night at 7pm and I hope Raven gets well soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).