Thursday, 25 April 2013

Scheduling Our Family


The other night I was at my book club and we were trying to schedule our next meeting. The conversation moved into whether or not people still use traditional calendars or whether the phone/email version has replaced the paper version. I'm still a big fan of the paper version. Like many people, the kitchen is the hub of my house so it’s where we keep our family calendar and schedule.

First, we have two calendars in use at all times. The big one is held on our fridge using a magnet. Any time anyone has an appointment or commitment, it gets written on the big calendar. At the start of the month I fill in any regular activities, such as D’s practices. I also write our monthly meal plan on the big calendar. J checks it during the day and takes out anything we need from the freezer.


The small one is my personal calendar. It stays with me at all times, either in my purse or my school bag. It’s used mainly for work commitments (I miss having an actual plan book) and is convenient to have so I can jot things down until I can write them in the big calendar. Every weekend I double check that anything in my small book has been written on the large calendar.

Every weekend I also update our weekly organization centre. You can see the tutorial for it here and a second version of the here. I include anything outside of a normal work / school day, and it’s an easy way to see what’s happening each day.


It’s a simple system but I find the more simple something is, the more likely I am to use it. This is the system we used when it was just J and I and, fortunately, it was easy to continue with once the kids moved in. While I am a huge fan of technology, in this situation I'm going with the motto "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and sticking with my traditional calendar.

Shared at: Artsy-Fartsy Mama, Diana Rambles, Lines Across, Sugar Bee Crafts, Fluster Buster, Clean & Scentsible, Ginger Snap Crafts, A Creative Princess

9 comments:

  1. I love a traditional paper calendar too Al! I just love pen & paper! It's fast and it works! Have a great weekend! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Pinned it!
    Monica
    http://happyandblessedhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. New Bloglovin Follower. hope you can follow back ;-) https://www.facebook.com/HappyAndBlessedHome Monica
    Join us for Family Fun Friday. Share your posts with 100+ bloggers and 400+ readers.
    http://happyandblessedhome.com/category/family-fun/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a paper girl too! I watch people whip out their phones, but I just can't get away from the tangible calendar...plus I still like the idea that everyone else in the family has access to it! Honestly, who else but me is looking at my phone! :)
    Kim
    www.exquisitelyunremarkable.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. visiting from take a look tuesday. Great planning. I am trying to sort our calendars so will keep this in mind

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am a paper fan. I use my phone when I am out but put those appointments onto the calender on the fridge once I am home. That way everyone can see what is going on and as I am going past the fridge more time than I look at the calender on my phone, I constantly get reminded what is going on. I am also slowly updating our command centre to not only function better, now both kids are in full time school, but also to look nicer!
    http://iheartthetime.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a similar system in our home. Thank you for sharing on Fluster's Creative Muster Party!

    Robin
    Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stopping by from the Wow Me Wednesday link-up. Love your weekly calendar! Where did you get the frames that are all stuck together?

    Danielle at Framed Frosting

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are not this organized but we never seem to miss anything! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).