Tuesday, 9 April 2013

Homemade Play Dough


As I mentioned in my last post, I spent Easter break in Newfoundland. I hadn’t seen my little man (my nephew) since August and was needing some serious play time and cuddles.


I feel as though I’d been seeing a lot of homemade play dough around the web just before my trip, so I decided to make some with little man. We followed the directions from Rust & Sunshine and it turned out really well.

In a pot I combined the following:
1 cup flour
1 cup warm water
¼ cup salt
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp oil

I measured out the ingredients and little man poured them all into the pot. I stirred over medium heat using a wooden spoon until the formed a sticky mess, which took about five minutes. The instructions said it would form a ball but mine didn’t. I just waited until the consistency felt right.


Next I separated it into four bowl because we had four colours of food colouring. Making one colour at a time, I poured a few drops of colouring into the dough and kneeded it through with my hands. I added more colouring until I got the look I wanted.

Once they were done, we got to work making shapes. Little man loved it! We played for a while and then stored the colours in (not brand name) Ziploc bags.


At least once every day he said “Auntie, make shapes.” and we would bring out the play dough again. The colours stayed separate for a few days and then he decided he wanted to mix them all together. The (very little) time and effort it took to make the play dough was definitely worth the enjoyment little man got from making shapes.

Shared at: Clean & Scentsible, Ginger Snap Crafts, Fluster Buster, A Creative Princess, Artsy-Fartsy Mama, Finding Home, Diana Rambles

2 comments:

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).