Saturday, 30 March 2013

Insurance Binder


I can’t imagine the stress of being in a situation that would require using insurance to replace belongings, but I’m pretty sure that one of the last thing I would want to do during such a time would be to hunt for documentation and proof of what we had. That is the main reason I wanted to create an insurance binder (part of my resolution for 2013).

There are actually two copies of this binder. Currently they are both in our house (living in the cupboard with our Manual and Warranty Binder) but the intention is to give a copy to my parents. I’m no mathematician but given that we live in the prairies and they live on the East Coast, the chances of both binders being destroyed at the same time must be pretty small.

The first thing in the binder is a copy of our policy. I know the insurance company keeps it on file but I wanted everything together.


I organized my binder by rooms/areas. I figured a picture is worth a thousand words, so that’s mostly what I used. I photographed everything: the room from a distance, all the furniture, close ups of closets and inside drawers, etc. I then used a word document to put them all on a few pages per area and printed it out.

Along with the pictures, I wanted to include some information on our larger and/or more expensive purchases. For those, I got J to write down the name of the item and the serial number.


As I work through my house following my resolution (Feb/March space coming soon) I plan to complete each room. That way by the end of the year I will have an up-to-date record of all our belongings.

Shared at: Countrified Hicks, Sugar Bee Crafts, Fluster Buster, Ginger Snap Crafts, Clean & Scentsible, A Creative Princess, SIMACB, Artsy-Fartsy Mama, Diana Rambles, Domestic Randomness, Finding Home, Organizing Made Fun

3 comments:

  1. Great idea! Thanks for linking up to my Pin Me Party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! I think just having a photo as "proof" that you owned it would be a great first step - serial numbers would be a bonus ;) I'm adding this to my June 2013 to do list. Thank you for inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I have pictures of every room, but they're just stacked up right now. I'm going to follow your lead and put them in a binder along with the insurance papers. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).