Thursday, 14 February 2013

Rothko Inspired Art


A little while ago I showed you my living room and told you I’d write you about the artwork later. Welcome to later. It started when I saw this Rothko Rip Off. I loved the simplicity of it and decided to make some of my own. Please keep in mind I am not an artist nor do I have aspirations of being one. However, I like art and really can’t afford to buy pieces for all my space.



First I took the cardboard from the back of the frame. That’s what I used as my background. While it was apart I spray painted the frame white.

Next I painted the white. I went all the way around and drew a line across each page. I made a point of not having it perfect and left some wonky lines and edges.

The I added my wide rectangles. There was no rhyme or reason. I just went with what I was feeling.

I thought that would be the end but I still felt like I was missing something so I added the few smaller rectangles inside the wider rectangles.


I originally planned to put one on each side of the couch but they were much too small. Instead I hung them both on nails that were already in the wall and planned to readdress the art situation a few days later. They’ve been there for several months now and honestly, I’m stuck. Oh well. I like them and I’ve put off replacing them this long so a little while longer won’t matter.

Shared at: Artsy-Fartsy Mama, Delightful Order, Lines Across, Sugar Bee Crafts, Ginger Snap Crafts, Clean & Scentsible, A Creative Princess, The Happy Housie

6 comments:

  1. Oh...LOVE!!!! Omigosh I have to "copy" you Alison! I have 3 canvas pictures up on my wall and well they look really tired - I've been wanting to paint htem for ages but didnt know what to do - now I do!!! Stunning!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you used the cardboard from the frame! Thanks for linking up to Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!!! It looks great!! Came over from Sugar Bee Crafts xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rothko - one of my favorite artists - I think you caught his spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This are so cute. I love the colors of them. Thanks for sharing at Artsy Corner :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! I believe everyone has some form of an artist in them, and you showed yours with this project. The colors complement each other wonderfully. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).