Monday, 3 September 2012

Marinated Carrots


Are you sick of reading about vegetables yet? Sorry. I’m on a roll right now.

I have a confession; I don’t like carrots. I think they’re pretty gross. The exception is marinated carrots. I don’t know where this recipe originally came from but my mom has been making them as long as I can remember.


Ingredients:

2 pounds carrots
1 green pepper
1 onion

Sauce:
½ cup vinager
1 cup sugar
1 tin tomatoe soup
½ cup oil
1 tsp salt
¾ tsp pepper
1 tsp mustard

Step 1: Chop carrots.

Step 2: Boil carrots until cooked. You want to leave them on the firm side because they will be cooked again. Drain them once they are finished cooking.


Step 3: Chop your green pepper and onion. I usually do this step while the carrots are cooking.


Step 4: Make your sauce. Heat it in a saucepan until blended.


Step 5: Mix carrots, green pepper, onion and sauce in a casserole dish. Marinate overnight.


Step 6: After marinating, cook the entire carrot mixture at 350 for about half an hour, until everything is heated.

Instead of completing step 6, I chose to bottle my carrots. After mixing all the ingredients together, I poured my carrot mixture into jars. I fill mine about 2/3 full because that’s how much we eat in a meal. If your mixture is hot enough, the jars will seal on their own. If not, you can seal them with a water bath. I’ve kept them for up to 6 months in the pantry.


While the kitchen was in a mess, I decided to also take care of the zucchini. I grated it and put it in freezer bags, with 2 cups per bag. When I freeze it, I make sure it is spread flat in the baggie. That way it takes up less space and is easy to store. I’ll share my zucchini walnut bread with you some other time.


 On a completely unrelated note, tomorrow is my first day with students at my new school. I’m totally excited and a little nervous. Wish me luck!


Shared on:
Take A Look Tuesday@ Sugar Bee Crafts
Man Up. Link Up. @ So I Married a Craft Blogger
The Creative Spark @ Clean & Scentsible
Wow Me Wednesday @ Ginger Snap Crafts
It's A Party @ A Creative Princess
Cure for the Common Monday @ Lines Across
Inspiration Cafe

1 comment:

  1. This recipe looks like a keeper. I didn't put carrots in this year but I think I will buy a bag and give it a try. Pinning this one. Visiting from Inspiration Cafes awesome linky party!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).