Sunday, 30 September 2012

Initial Art: Kids Craft


First, I feel as though I owe those of you who stop by regularly an apology. I haven’t been crafting or posting as often as I’d like for the last 3 months or so. Not to make excuses but I feel like I’m having a hard time keeping up with life lately. Between getting married, changing schools, traveling multiple times for work, and working on my Inclusive Education diploma I’m stretched very thin. Add to that the fact that we are getting ready for the stepkids to (temporarily) move in with us (which will be a major change from just staying here on weekends) and I truly feel like I’m running on empty most of the time. I’m not telling you this to sound whiney or seek pity. I’m happy with, and grateful for, all the things that are happening in my life and am hoping to be able to catch my breath (and start regularly crafting and blogging) some time in the near future.

Now that I’ve got that out of the way, this is a craft the kids did several weeks ago. I can’t take credit for this. They came up with the idea and did all the work!

M's Initial Art

Originally, M wanted to make some artwork for her room. D wanted nothing to do with it. We had a blank canvas in the basement that M decided she wanted to paint. She also decided she wanted to add her initial to it so we went to the dollar store to see what we could find. We bought a large wooden letter and some buttons. Once M started working on hers, D decided he wanted to make one too. He and his dad went out and got what he needed to make the same type of thing.

D's Initial Art

Sorry but I don’t have pictures of the stages.

First came the painting. They marked off the sections using painter’s tape and then painted them using sponge brushes. M waited for sections to dry and moved the tape. D left his tape on to make white stripes. While they were painting they also painted the edges of their initials.

Hard at work. I have a grubby table cloth we use for crafting
and I make the kids wear aprons to protect their clothes.

Next they cut scrapbook paper to fit their initials and attached the paper using Modge Podge.

Once everything was dry, I used a glue gun to attach the initials. It worked ok but I would recommend stronger glue. At this stage D decided he was finished. M added some buttons to hers to make it look prettier.

The finished products drying on the kitchen table.

Aren’t they great? I love when the kids have their own creations hung up in their rooms!


Shared on:
Man Up. Link Up. @ SIMACB
Take A Look Tuesday @ Sugar Bee Crafts
The Creative Spark @ Clean & Scentsible
Wow Me Wednesday @ Ginger Snap Crafts
It's a Party @ A Creative Princess
Delightfully Inspiring Thursday @ Delightful Order
Artsy Corner @ Artsy Fartsy Mama
Saturday Seven @ Positively Splendid
The Happy Housie

3 comments:

  1. Very nice pictures, your kids are very creative )
    Wish you a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great kid craft! I would love for you to share this on my Linky Party Blog Stalking Thursday. http://www.theartsygirlconnection.com/2012/10/pininspirational-thursday-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute and a perfect craft for kids! So glad you shared this at Artsy Corner! Hope to see you again this week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).