Tuesday, 18 September 2012

Blanched Chard


I realize this post may be a little too late for this fall but I wanted to write it anyway. You may remember all those veggies I got from a colleague. I already wrote about my marinated carrots and frozen zucchini. This is how I preserved the rest.

First I pickled the chard stems. To be honest, I haven’t tried them yet but I think they look interesting and they were easy to make. The recipe I used can be found here.


Next, I decided to blanch and freeze the chard leaves.

First I cleaned them and cut them into strips about 1 ½ inches thick.


I put them in a pot of boiling water for 3 minutes.


I then removed them from the boiling water and placed them directly in an ice bath (really cold water with ice cubes) to stop the cooking process.


After that, I spread them out on a towel to dry.


Once they were mostly dry, I placed them in freezer bags, labeled them, and put them in the freezer. This way I can take out a bag and unthaw them when I want them.


I also did the same with my beans.  Now I’ve got lots of produced stored and ready to get us through the winter.





Shared on:
Delightfully Inspiring Thursday @ Delightful Order
Saturday Seven @ Positively Splendid
Snack Time Saturday @ Young Nesters
The Cure for the Common Monday @ Lines Across
Man Up. Link Up. @ SOMACB
Take A Look Tuesday @ Sugar Bee Crafts

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I'm not sure if I'll be able to find some good chard at this time of the year, but if I see it I'm stalking up!

    Raj
    Pink Chai Styel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, definitely something to keep in mind for next season. Visiting from Positively Splendid. I'd love if you came and shared at my healthy food link party! http://www.youngnesters.net/2012/09/snacktime-saturday-week-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up to Snacktime Saturday! Hope to see you again on Saturday :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).