Tuesday, 10 July 2012

Beaded Keychain / Zipper Pull

Sorry I’ve been away from blogland lately. As I mentioned in an early post, I was in Edmonton. Between about 165 teachers we marked over 40 000 booklets (each with an essay and a letter) of grade 9 provincial exams in 6 days. While I had brought beading supplies with me and actually did make one piece in the hotel, I just didn’t have the mental capacity to write about it. To be honest, I didn’t even turn on my computer the entire time I was away but gave myself a break from all technology and it was lovely.


Ok, enough about that. Above is the beaded keychain / zipper pull I made in the hotel. Because I liked the way it turned out, I decided to make another one when I got home so I could share it with you.


The first thing I did was cut five pieces of chain. On this one I used three short and two long but on the original I used 2 short and 3 long.


Next I attached planned where to place the beads and attached them to the pieces of chain using headpins. I started by using two beads per chain. On the middle chain I attached a charm with a jump ring instead of using beads.


I then used jump rings to attach each strand of chain to the clasp.


At this point I thought I was done but once I held it up, I realized it needed more beads. I went back and added a few more until I was happy with the appearance.


I realize I didn’t explain much about how to attach headpins and jump rings. If you’re new to beading, THIS SITE has good, simple explanations of how to do the basics.


Last but not least, here's a photo of the two of them together. I wasn't sure what to call them so I settled on keychains / zipper pulls but they could be attached to a lot of things.


I now have a few of these in my etsy store. I've been trying to get the shop information filled out and add some more products so I can *hopefully* make my first sale soon. Any tips on how to be successful on etsy are very welcome!


Shared on:
The Creative Spark @ Clean & Scentsible
Wow Me Wednesday @ Ginger Snap Crafts
Delightfully Inspiring Thursday @ Delightful Order
Saturday Seven @ Positively Splendid
The Cure for the Common Monday @ Lines Across
Take-A-Look Tuesday @ Sugar Bee Crafts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).